1 (edited by nosrak113 2007-08-14 03:25:30)

Topic: ?? can i do this??

ok
i get up after *my chumby* rings its alarm
i press a button or the screen
and the alarm goes off
i grab my usb keyboard
press the screen a couple of times
and now im in console
to run my own C++, java, flash programs?

can i do this ???
thz alot
I really want a chumby

Re: ?? can i do this??

To run your own C++ programs, you'd cross compile them on your computer.
To run your own Flash programs, there are several methods on the wiki
To run your own java programs, see the Java sticky on the Software board.

(I'm glad to see the production chumbys have a console big_smile)

i know u can ssh into the chumby
and use a usb keyboard

they said the keyboard is not supported in flash right now, so what is it for then?

console would be really nice

Wait, what? I thought you said there was a console? (I was wondering how they pulled that off)

5 (edited by nosrak113 2007-08-14 15:52:40)

in the new chumbys how would u get to console, and this there an emu so i can start to dev c++ programs?

No specific emulator (but Qemu works for generic ARM programs, and Scratchbox is a dream to work with if you can get it set up; I toyed around with the idea of writing a specific extension to Qemu for Chumby development as has been done with the Neo 1492 "OpenMoko" phone, but it's a lot of work and the beta Chumby's complete hardware specification hasn't been released yet), and you can get to the console just by enabling the SSH server (which is described on the Wiki and in several threads here), and doing "ssh chumbies.ip.address -l root".

For compiling your programs to run on the Chumby, a toolchain is also located on the Wiki. (assuming you have a machine running any reasonably recent Linux distribution). Hope that's enough to get you started.

I actually build most of the stuff I port on a normal Linux box first, then cross compile for ARM once I've got it working the way I want it to.  Building specifically for chumby is often the easiest part.

Doing this right for new projects requires some insight into autoconfig/automake, etc.  You can look at some of the source code here to see how we've built stuff.

This thread more properly belongs in the Development/Software section, since it's really no longer about *using* a chumby.

8 (edited by nosrak113 2007-08-17 04:10:18)

i know u can ssh over to the chumpy, but can i plug in a usb keyboard and run console on the chumby?
... ...