Topic: Chumby loses WiFi connection intermittently and wont auto reconnect

For the past year and a half I've had to either reset my Chumby or manually reconnect it to my WiFi typically once a day. Seems to work fine when connected but just keeps losing the connection intermittently. I have several WiFi devices around the house and they all work fine. I've replaced my wireless router a couple times and I've tried different locations for Chumby but nothing seems to help. Even if Chumby loses connection I don't understand why it cannot auto-reconnect without manual intervention. The WiFi network is always present and when I manually reconnect Chumby it always reconnects so why can't it just automatically reconnect by itself and leave me alone?

Re: Chumby loses WiFi connection intermittently and wont auto reconnect

Which version of the chumby is doing this?

3 (edited by jc1 2010-08-23 12:56:39)

This problem has been present for me for all versions released for the past 1 1/2 years. Current version info:
HW: 3.7
SW: 1.7.2
FW: 1830
hw#: CC07C03121
Control Panel: 2.8.57

I always try the next new version when it becomes available but problem persists. When I first got Chumby about 2 years ago, it worked well and I did not have this problem. The problem seemed to start about 6 or 8 months later, I think after a software upgrade but not sure. I checked the forums at the time and seems other people were also complaining about same problem.

Both my Chumby Classics have this problem and are connected via ethernet. At least once a day, they lose connection and will not reconnect automatically. They do not lose connection simultaneously, one will disconnect and the other will be fine. They are using different ethernet/USB adaptors - one is a Netcomm  NP1020 and the other is a Belkin F5D5050.
My C1 will reconnect automatically if it loses its connection - it is also using a similar Belkin adaptor.
The Classics both have:
Control Panel: 2.8.57
HW: 3.8
SW: 1.7.2
FW: 1830

My Insignia Infocast has the same problem with the built-in WLAN, once in awhile I use youtube app or shoutcast widget, the wireless shuts down, no internet connection. When I open up the Network Settings in the Control Panel, it can't read the network information. When I click configure, it keeps searching for network adapters. So I let it keep searching and after awhile the screen goes blank.

CP Version: 3.1.21
SW: 1.0.3
FW: 1.0.3236
Model Number 9.7

steelpaw wrote:

Both my Chumby Classics have this problem and are connected via ethernet. At least once a day, they lose connection and will not reconnect automatically. They do not lose connection simultaneously, one will disconnect and the other will be fine.

In my case, it would appear that the problem was with the router (Netcomm NB600W).
There were always a few problems with it, such as neither Tivo nor Chumbys would connect unless given static IP addresses. Then the last week or so, I could only connect to sites if I knew the IP address, trying to use a url wouldn't work, so I got a new router.
Using the new router (D-link DIR 600), the Chumbys will connect without having to use static IP addresses, and so far they either haven't lost connection or else automatically reconnect if the connection drops out.

Well I'm glad you maybe found a solution to your problem steelpaw, you might say I also found a solution.... The trash can. After screwing with this problem for almost 2 years and no real help from support other than replace my router which I have done twice or place Chumby closer to the router which should not be necessary since it worked fine for the first 6 months I owned it. I replaced Chumby with a Sony Dash, very nice unit in all respects and makes the Chumby seem well you can guess what it makes Chumby look like. The Sony Dash has not disconnected from my WiFi since I installed it almost 3 weeks ago so I'm happy but very disappointed with Chumby and it's support.

Ever since you had your router, is the settings on factory defaults?