Topic: ALSA on the BB8 (Infocast)

Hi.

I was just wondering if anyone has successfully compiled an ALSA-using application for the new device or if there is a patch that's not been released yet as there was for the Falconwing source. Hopefully I either made a simple mistake, need to compile with a different set of cflags, or there is a new patch file on the way and I'm just jumping the gun a bit.

My statically compiled mpg123 binary complains:

./mpg123 test.mp3
ALSA lib pcm.c:2062:(snd_pcm_open_conf) Cannot open shared library /usr/local/arm-linux/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_srs_wowhdmaxv.so
[alsa.c:158] error: cannot open device default
[audio.c:625] error: failed to open audio device
[audio.c:180] error: Unable to find a working output module in this list: alsa
[audio.c:527] error: Failed to open audio output module
[mpg123.c:847] error: Failed to initialize output, goodbye.

--------------

If there is a simple change that can be made, I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Re: ALSA on the BB8 (Infocast)

Well, thanks to the fact that there is a compiler actually on the device, I was able to link to the shared library. The mpg123 app does need the libmpg123 library that it builds, but I found that /mnt/storage/local/lib is already defined in the library path even though there is no folder there by default.

It looks like verbose logging is enabled on the pre-compiled ALSA library, though:

humby-1f-00-d1:/mnt/storage/tmp # ./mpg123 -C cnet_buzzoutloud_062410.mp3
ALSA lib src/TechMain.cxx:32:(TechMain) TechMain constructor
ALSA lib src/TechWowHD.cxx:43:(TechWowHD) TechWowHD constructor
ALSA lib src/TechMaxV.cxx:53:(TechMaxV) TechMaxV constructor
High Performance MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 Audio Player for Layers 1, 2 and 3
    version 1.12.2; written and copyright by Michael Hipp and others
    free software (LGPL/GPL) without any warranty but with best wishes

Terminal control enabled, press 'h' for listing of keys and functions.

Playing MPEG stream 1 of 1: cnet_buzzoutloud_062410.mp3 ...
ALSA lib src/pcm_plugin.c:286:(srs_init) Debug is on
ALSA lib src/pcm_plugin.c:291:(srs_init) Version 2.0.1.0
ALSA lib src/pcm_plugin.c:292:(srs_init) Build time Fri Mar 19 18:19:52 PDT 2010
ALSA lib src/pcm_plugin.c:293:(srs_init) ALSA-lib version 1.0.10
ALSA lib src/pcm_plugin.c:295:(srs_init) rate - 44100
ALSA lib src/pcm_plugin.c:296:(srs_init) format - 2
Title:   BOL 1256: iPhone 4 debuts to a chorus of nerds
Artist:  CNET.com
Comment: Turns out the newborn iPhones 4 might have a touch of the old jaundice -- it's ok, it's pretty common, just try to lay them in direct sunlight for a few hours. (No, don't try that. Just call Apple.) Top story today, though: a victory for the Internet! That victory? YouTube wins against Viacom! (Viacom plans to appeal.) Also, Rafe was totally right about that antenna thing, he would like to you to know, and when it comes to Twitter and Facebook, well: it's war.
Album:   Buzz Out Loud
Year:    2010                            Genre:  Podcast
MPEG 1.0 layer III, 80 kbit/s, 44100 Hz mono
Frame#   848 [83876], Time: 00:22.15 [36:31.04], RVA:   off, Vol: 100(100)             

-= terminal control keys =-
[s] or [ ]    interrupt/restart playback (i.e. '(un)pause')
[f]    next track
[d]    previous track
[the-forum-code-hates-leaving-b-here]    back to beginning of track
[p]    loop around current position (like a damaged audio CD;-)
[.]    forward
[,]    rewind
[:]    fast forward
[;]    fast rewind
[>]    fine forward
[<]    fine rewind
[+]    volume up
[-]    volume down
[r]    RVA switch
[v]    verbose switch
[l]    list current playlist, indicating current track there
[t]    display tag info (again)
[m]    print MPEG header info (again)
[the-forum-code-hates-leaving-h-here]    this help
[q]    quit
[c] or [C]    pitch up (small step, big step)
[x] or [X]    pitch down (small step, big step)
[w]    reset pitch to zero

--------------------

-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      106.4K Jun 25 18:32 mpg123

--------------------

While this is nice, I would still like the option of a static library to link for ALSA apps unless I've done something wrong and the version that was compiled and working on the C1 needs to be recompiled or otherwise modified.

/psp/asound.conf imports SRS Wow3D and MaxV, both of which are shared libraries that live in, I believe, /lib/alsa/ (or therebouts.)  You're not going to be able to statically link those in.  That's what's printing out those messages.

You can modify /psp/asound.conf to remove it, but then it's not stock.  But then you'll be able to statically link against libasound.

Ah. I had the shared library linked without issue (the 2nd post), but figured that ALSA could be statically linked with the SRS library being more of an on-the-fly dynamically loaded module.

After seeing your post I had a look at my original error and found the module in '/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_srs_wowhdmaxv.so'. That may just need to be in the library path of the environment's search path but I'll need to wait until tomorrow to give that a shot. I just wonder with the fact that gcc being installed created a symlink for /usr/lib to /mnt/storage/gcc/lib if I can tell for a fact that a library there is installed by default or is the result of gcc being put onto the device. *shrugs*