Topic: Chumby Specs

Ive been reading a bit about these Chumby's and they sound great so far! As soon as ill get my hands on one of these im planning to port some applications over to it! My question is though is if the Chumby will have enough "horsepower" to handle alot of the apps i want to port to it, like kismet, airodump/crack and ofcourse the killer app fortune wink Also, what would be the interest in those apps for the hacking community? Anyways, ill be browsing the wiki a bit more, but i can tell yall already i cant wait for these baby's to come out! I always love wireless gadgets!

-Matt

Re: Chumby Specs

The device has a 266MHz Freescale ARM9 with 133MHz bus, 32MB SDRAM and 64MB of NAND Flash.

You can augment the storage with a USB dongle, since it has a USB port on the back.

The wifi is a USB 802.11g dongle.- there are actually two USB ports inside the case, one of which is used by the wifi.  You can of course remove that and put something else there.

The processor performance is comparable to a Nokia 770.

(inappropriately placed hardware question): is the flash soldered to the board?

As for the performance, it sounds like it's fast enough to run some seriously cool applications; I understand you have a "widget" system invisioned, if the widgets are developed on top of your custom API, will they be commercially viable (could I sell my widget to people with this device)?

Also, regards to Wifi and software: software-wise, is the WiFi device set up to always be on and thus allow for streaming audio from iTunes, etc, or does it run in "sync" mode, where it turns on and grabs information from a client-side API, much like a glorified PDA? Either functionality sounds great to me, but as a developer gathering ideas the earlier I could know the better.

The "widgets" are simply Flash 7 movies, so anything that generates Flash can be used to author them, not just Macromedia Studio.

We are planning to have a system where people can publish their own widgets to make them available to other users, perhaps for a fee.  Anything going to the entire user base requires approval from us, but you could make your own widgets for your own device and share them with other specific chumby users.

Hey thanks for the replies, just woke up and started browsing a bit more and found out the specs too smile Anyways, it looks like everything will be fine, one question though, howmuch space does the chumby software actually take up of those 64 mb?

At the moment, the 64MB is partitioned to allow us to restore the unit to factory settings - pretty typical for a prototype unit that has experimental software running.

I just checked and we're using 91% of the partition that's normally booted.  That doesn't mean that we're running out of space - it means there may be some stuff we don't need or we need to repartition.

Will it be able to stream radio stations from Shoutcast and the like, being on a wireless connection?

Is it still available?

focin albert wrote:

Is it still available?

They are not currently production, however, it is fairly easy to find used devices of various kinds.

Just check the "Market" section of this forum, eBay, and there are frequently refurbished units on sale at http://thechumbystore.com - in fact, there's currently a refurbished "latte" Classic on sale there that's in excellent condition.