Topic: List boxes shows no text, even though it's there

Hi!

I'm trying to get my FirePlay client to work. It includes 4 list windows that populates from server data.

The server connection is fine, and the lists are populated properly, BUT the text doesn't show.

I have even tried uploading a test widget, called "listtest". It consists of a list with three items, and nothing else. In the Flash IDE it shows fine; in the chumby.com widget preview it shows fine, but in the virtual chumby, the texts are blank.

Any input is truly appreciated!

Best regards,

/Bo

Re: List boxes shows no text, even though it's there

"Virtual Chumby" is a Flash movie that uses "loadMovie()" to load the widgets into a MovieClip.

If the widget makes certain assumptions, for instance that it is running from the main timeline, or that _global==_root, or _level0==_root, then they'll malfunction.

On a *real* chumby, this issue isn't generally a problem since the widgets get their own player.

I'm working with Bo on this issue: it's more complicated then that.

The Listboxes contain the correct number of entries (each existing entry is selectable/clickable) but the Listbox doesn't render the text of the entries if it is loadMovie()'d into the virtual Chumby. The listbox entries are also not rendered on my (real) chumby. However, if the SWF is loaded directly in a Browser (like Firefox) then the entries are rendered correctly (each listbox entry shows its text). Any ideas?

Yours,
jp

Can you create a trivial loading movie and load it into that? That would isolate the behavior a bit.

FlashLite has a open bug involving dynamic masking of dynamic Textfields, but that would not explain the failure in virtual chumby, which is using the desktop player.

I'd also drop a bunch of trace() statements around the loading of the TextFields - trace the the text getting loaded, read it back out, verify the dimensions of the TextFields, verify the dimensions of any masks, etc.  I'd also check the font being used - is it embedded?

My Chumby One displays everything as expected (I have tried this out with Bo's widget) - I haven't yet tested it on my original Chumby (I'll do that tomorrow if I don't forget).