Topic: Bidirectional pipe communication between Flash and C program

I have written a C program that takes a line from standard input (terminated by a \n), formats it, and sends it to the serial port.  The same executable also receives data from the serial port, formats it, and sends it to standard out (also terminated by a \n).

After reviewing the ASnative() calls for _pipeOpen(), _pipeRead(), and _pipeWrite(), I can't seem to figure out how to hook this C program into my Flash program.  All of the examples I can find that use both _pipeRead() and _pipeWrite() pass different command lines to their respective _pipeOpen() calls.

Has anyone developed a Flash program to handle a bidirectional pipe?

Re: Bidirectional pipe communication between Flash and C program

Using _pipeRead(), _pipeWrite(), and _pipeOpen() makes a lot more sense if you understand that they're basically wrappers around pread(), pwrite(), and popen().

So you pass the program's name to _pipeOpen(), pass the string to print to _pipeWrite(), and read the string back from _pipeRead().

I think I understand that the _pipeOpen(), _pipeRead(), and _pipeWrite() are equivalent to C's popen(), pread(), and pwrite(), respectively.

But, popen() wants either a "r" or a "w" argument for reading _or_ writing.  It can't do both.  So, I need two separate _pipeOpen() calls -- one for the read pipe and one for the write pipe.  I'd like to do this with only one program running -- I'd rather not pipe the output into a temporary file and then cat that file for the second _pipeOpen().  Also, this would eventually fill up the file.

I've seen some implementations of popen2() in C, which provides a read file descriptor and a write file descriptor for one program.  But, I don't see how to use that same model in Flash.

Sadly, Linux is not like that.  From the manpage of pipe(7):

Portability Notes:
On some systems (but not Linux), pipes are bidirectional

perl and python have a version of popen as a module called popen2 or popen3 that behave that way, but they work in a different way.  Unfortunately, the version that got put in the Flashplayer is just a Linux pipe, so it's unidirectional.

I wasn't sure whether the ASnative() calls were put in by Adobe or chumby.  If it were the chumby folks, I guess I'm asking whether they think bidirectional pipe support is worth adding.

The web page: http://snippets.dzone.com/posts/show/1134

shows a C implementation of popen2() (I think the correct implementation is about a 1/3 of the way down the page), so it looks like it is possible to do.

The ASnative() calls that we publish were added by chumby.  They're sort of like a two-dimensional syscall() for Flash.

I'll make the suggestion to the flash guys to implement bidirectional _pipe calls.

Are named pipes available ? Those should be bidirectional.

Redge

redge76 wrote:

Are named pipes available ? Those should be bidirectional.

Redge

I would assume so, since the Chumby uses a couple for btplay.  /tmp/.btplay-cmdin /tmp/.btplay-cmdout and I just noticed some called ".fpcmdrecv" and ".fpcmdsend" in the /tmp dir also.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

I got some email from Henry Groover that provided the answer.  Code snippet is below, where mycmd is an executable that takes stdin and provides stdout:

_backtick = ASnative(5, 52);
_pipeOpen = ASnative(5, 191);
_pipeRead = ASnative(5, 193);
_pipeWrite = ASnative(5, 194);
_pipeClose = ASnative(5, 195);

_backtick("mkfifo /tmp/.outpipe"); // Create named pipe

/* You need to create the read pipe before creating the write pipe, otherwise your process will block until there's a process reading. */
rHandle = _pipeOpen("cat - </tmp/.outpipe", "r"); // Create read pipe

/* If you read at this time, you'll block.  So, no reading until the write pipe is created and mycmd is executed. */
wHandle = _pipeOpen("mycmd >/tmp/.outpipe", "w"); // Create write pipe

/* Now it's safe to read and write.  To avoid deadlocks, it's best if mycmd doesn't depend on getting data on stdin to generate data on stdout. */
_pipeWrite(wHandle, "this will be sent to stdin of mycmd");
s = _pipeRead(rHandle); // Read from stdout of mycmd

_pipeClose(wHandle);
_pipeClose(rHandle);

This all works great if I run my widget standalone using

chumbyflashplayer.x -i mywidget.swf

But if I add mywidget.swf to /mnt/usb/profile.xml, I don't get any pipe communication.  I also don't get any messages that explain what's going on.  I even tried stop_control_panel, then start_control_panel to see if there were any diagnostics printed, but I got nothing of any value when mywidget.swf was executed.

I added some trace outputs to print the return values of calling _backtick() and _pipeOpen().  For the standalone case, they return sensible values.  When it's running under the control panel, I get undefined for the return values.

Is there a difference in how pipes are accessed between running standalone and running under the control panel?

It could be that you're running into privilege problems, where the master widget has access to many more functions than the slave widget.  Try creating /psp/flashplayer.cfg and adding the following line:

PrivilegedCallExceptions 0x8000

Then restart flashplayer.  That should give slave widgets permission to use pipe calls.

Note that this could present a security risk.  Any widget could then make calls to pipe objects, which is why we normally have it turned off.

0x8000 didn't work, but 65535 did.  Is there a list of which bits control which privileged call exceptions?

I'm a little disappointed that local widgets don't have hardware access.  I thought the "no hardware access" was only for widgets that were loaded over the web.  Since I have physical control over my chumby, I would propose that if I put a widget on my chumby, it should be allowed pipe calls.

Also, I did a search for PrivilegedCallExceptions in the forum, and it looks like there's some confusion regarding the syntax.  Some posts show the line as

PrivilegedCallExceptions=65535

and some show the line as

PrivilegedCallExceptions 65535

(no equals sign).  It looks like the latter is correct.

13 (edited by agprimatic 2010-01-03 17:06:36)

Found one of my answers.  The wiki page http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index.php/ChumbyNative has values which seem to be also the argument to PrivilegedCallExceptions:

static var PRIVILEGES_VOLUME:Number = 0x0001;
    static var PRIVILEGES_AUDIO_PLAYER:Number = 0x0002;
    static var PRIVILEGES_BRIGHTNESS:Number = 0x0004;
    static var PRIVILEGES_POWER:Number = 0x0008;
    static var PRIVILEGES_GET_FILE:Number = 0x0010;
    static var PRIVILEGES_PUT_FILE:Number = 0x0020;
    static var PRIVILEGES_BACKTICK:Number = 0x0040;
    static var PRIVILEGES_FILEINFO:Number = 0x0080;
    static var PRIVILEGES_UNLINK:Number = 0x0100;
    static var PRIVILEGES_CACHE_CONTROL:Number = 0x0200;
    static var PRIVILEGES_OVERLAY_BLENDING:Number = 0x0400;
    static var PRIVILEGES_OVERLAY_CHROMA:Number = 0x0800;