Topic: Buttons work on virtual Chumby, but not on real C1

Just got my C1. And I was able to submit as a widget the Synclecronic clock Flash program seen at http://GTyme.org.

When I test it out on my virtual Chumby, the Flash program correctly toggles between fast/demo mode & slow/real-time when Qt is left-clicked. And location data can be entered when the gear box cog is left-clicked. BUT neither button works on my real C1.

Is that because my Flash app's buttons need to be larger? Or are there some differences between running widgets on the virtual and real Chumbies with regards to its touchscreen?

Regards Yale L

Re: Buttons work on virtual Chumby, but not on real C1

The Chumby uses Flash Lite 3.1.7, while desktop systems usually use Flash 9 or 10 which has a lot more capability.  There are quite a few language features that don't work in Flash Lite.

Well, the widget *sort of* works - the buttons are way too small, but there are other issues.

It really should have the fonts embedded, since it's using our built-in fonts which have different metrics, so some of the text is cut off in the settings dialog.

It also seems to get a little confused when exiting that dialog - the background goes white instead of maintaining the starfield backdrop.

Otherwise it seems to work.

Hi Duane,

I am having the widget rewritten, so much thanks for your suggestions. BTW, what I think I will do is have 1st hour and 12th hour be the buttons.

Also: How the heck did you get the buttons to work on your real Chumby, if you were able to do so? I'd like to demo at some some of our Chumby GreenTyme Circadian Clock to friends now, rather than wait for the final everything works version.

Regards, Yale

Duane wrote:

Well, the widget *sort of* works - the buttons are way too small, but there are other issues.

It really should have the fonts embedded, since it's using our built-in fonts which have different metrics, so some of the text is cut off in the settings dialog.

It also seems to get a little confused when exiting that dialog - the background goes white instead of maintaining the starfield backdrop.

Otherwise it seems to work.

Well, I used the tip of a pen and clicked around that area until I hit something. I must admit that my touchscreen calibration on this particular unit isn't the best.

I don't think that's going to work for any demo you might want to do - it's quite difficult to get it to register the click.

Thanks, Duane.

I can't get the touch to work at all, so I will have to wait until the re-write.

OTOH, it works on the new HTC Hero Android, so I don't think it be too much of a problem on the Chumby when these few issues are addressed.

Warmest regards, Yale

Duane wrote:

Well, I used the tip of a pen and clicked around that area until I hit something. I must admit that my touchscreen calibration on this particular unit isn't the best.

I don't think that's going to work for any demo you might want to do - it's quite difficult to get it to register the click.