Topic: chipmunk voices when streaming audio to widget

I have created a simple streaming audio widget  for emergency broadcast streams. At times, when playing on the Chumby, a stream might sound as if it's playing at several times actual speed. It's very odd. Has anyone else seen this happen?

I'm calling the audio like this:
s = new Sound();
s.loadSound("http://icecast.scanamerica.us/ca_lapd1",true);

Very simple. I think i've even seen this same code on the forums here a few times.
Any help would be appreciated.

Shawn

Re: chipmunk voices when streaming audio to widget

Shawn:  Will your widget support TeamSpeak emergency broadcast streams?

I'm not familiar with TeamSpeak. Do you have a URL you'd like to try? Do you know what format it's in?

4 (edited by cbreeze 2009-12-09 11:58:39)

Howdy,

The MP3 stream needs to be encoded as "generic" as possible.  No strange bit rates, etc.  That is most often the reason why you will hear the result you mention.

If you are curious, TeamSpeak is a voice chat system used often in online multi-player games.

Cheers.

I had this problem too - it was because some of the mp3s that I was streaming had non-standard sample rates.  If you stick with playing files that use sample rates that are multiples of 11.025kHz, you should be fine.

McConnell:  ScanNewEngland.net has a TeamSpeak server that I was thinking about when I asked that question.  Another source of scanners is RadioReference.com. ( I plugged a few of the RadioReference.com feed URLs into the My Streams app  and they worked just fine, I believe I selected OGG as the type.  )