Topic: Processor and driver details of chumby

Was Chumby developed on i.MX21 ? If so, are the low level kernel drivers developed by Chumbians themsevles or they use the ones that come with the board? Also what about H/W multimedia accelerator?:/

Re: Processor and driver details of chumby

Yes, the prototype chumby was built around the MX21 - we used some of the Freescale drivers unmodified, modified some of them, and added others.

We are not currently using the accelerator because we were not sure we were going to be using the MX21 in the production model and didn't want to set incorrect expectations.

You can download our kernel and drivers from http://files.chumby.com/resources/chumby_kernel.tgz

Thanks Duane.

One more thing... Are you using the Hantro h/w codec that comes with the board?
I am facing some issues with this. The Hantro kernel driver code that comes with
the board has functions listed in them like open, close, memory map, IOCTL, etc.

When we look at the IOCTL function, we see that not all the commands have been
listed there.  For example, it doesn't seem to show commands for how to start the stream,
stop the stream, configure various parameters (such as fps, bitrate, image size, etc).

Can anything be done to bypass this? We dont have much documents on these.

We are not currently using the Hantro stuff.

However, my understanding is that the driver only does the very low-level packet decode and encode - there are  libraries that come with it that you link into your application take care of the timing, stream management, etc. which call in to the driver to decode or encode the individual packets.

I probably don't have any more documentation than you do.

Thanks much Duane. Your replies have been very helpful in deciding future course of action.

So according to you the APIs listed in the libraries take care of opening the device, start the stream and other things which are supposed to be done by the User space driver? So we just have to call those APIs?
But how to validate that the decoding/encoding is done through the hardware not through the software(thru' lib).

I think the Hantro libraries include a small demo application that will decode and play a simple raw video file to the display.  It's up to you to integrate the libraries into your particular application - which would also have to handle any audio that might be in the file, controls, etc.

As far as I know, they don't provide a full featured application for playback of video - just crude demos.  I think you'd also have to handle management of any container formats as well - the demo apps are very simple and just scan for what it hopes are video packet headers.

This is from memory - it's been a while since I looked at that stuff.

Hi,

I have some doubts in SD card driver of the imx21.
The kernel driver code for SD MMC that comes with the board has been written for PXA architecture right?
In that case, we have to port it onto imx21, is this right??
How did you move on with testing of the device and other things?

Thanks,
Samurai

The chumby does not support SD cards, so that particular kernel driver was not relevant to us.  I have no information about its quality or condition.  Sorry about that.