1 (edited by cbreeze 2009-07-21 16:48:10)

Topic: Spectrum analyzer data for widgets

A long, long time ago I had a program that would process an audio file and spit it out as a .swf with a running set of variables (I think it was 8) that corresponded to the different frequency ranges in the audio.  They were very broad, similar to what you would find on an 8-band EQ layout.

Anyway,  you could use these variables to do all sorts of fun things, that in appearance, matched up with the audio source playing.

I was curious if there was a way to get this type of data to a widget, using the currently playing audio source.  I am sure the first issue would be processing, and frame rate, but I was doing 15 max fps back then, and it was still very effective.

I dug around a bit for Linux audio analyzers, and it appears some things like that do exist (even though the most of the info made 0 sense tongue ).

This could open up a whole new category of widgets, that not only would be simpler for just fun development, but would be quite entertaining as your channel progresses.  The idea of moving things, and performing other fun effects "synced" to the audio source just seems ripe for creativity.

Perhaps it is too ambitious, or not technically possible to have the 2 communicate, but it would be pretty sweet.

Cheers.

2 (edited by cbreeze 2009-09-13 11:50:27)

Re: Spectrum analyzer data for widgets

I'm bumping this because I am slightly surprised that there was zero response, or even an idea whether it's possible.  Perhaps I made it too complicated.  Here is the simple version:

Widget based audio visualizer on the chumby

Practically every audio program has one (and usually with an open architecture).  The chumby is an audio device, and just seems perfect for it.  It shouldn't be anymore of a pull than the sensor data you can get.

If you need me to clarify more, let me know.

Cheers.