Topic: Dumb question: where is the rs232 port?

I dont see a serial port in the back of the chumby...doh, where is it?

King Dave

Re: Dumb question: where is the rs232 port?

There is no RS232 port on the chumby.

There is an internal TTL-level serial port on the motherboard of the device, just behind the upper right corner of the display.  Those of us that use it typically have the screen module loose and use a TTL-RS232 adaptor such as this one connected to a 4-pin header soldered into the pads.

Thanks Duane.  I feel terrible that I teared half the chumby around the edges of the screen looking for it.  Not that I found it, but in that position, just because of the fact that I am desecrating my chumby, I would certainly not want to use that port and instead, will give a shot to a usb-to-serial adapter.  I did found an older thread in which you mention that usb-to-serial adapters are not too reliable.  Does that opinion still applies to the current model?, any tips for a rs232 fan like me?

Best Regards
King Dave

The serial port is exposed as a row of five holes along the upper right - what you do is solder in a 4 or 5 pin header (the innermost pin isn't used) and then the cable I listed will just attach to it.  On my development chumby, I route the cable out though the opening in the bottom, then attach it to a USB serial adapter, then to my Mac. Actually, on mine, I didn't solder in the header - if you stick some tape in a particular position, you can more or less use the pressure to hold the header it without soldering.

The cool thing about using the serial port is that you can watch the device boot and get access to the device much earlier - very useful when debugging the kernel, various scripts, or the wifi.

I'm not sure the current firmware release supports USB serial, however, I know the next one does, since Henry has spent a bunch of time adding and tweaking the kernel drivers for the various common chipsets.

Thanks Duane.  This is a very valuable tip.

Best Regards
King Dave

6 (edited by Madox 2008-04-28 06:06:01)

For those of us in other countries (e.g. Australia...where you can't buy Chumbies...mmmm), there's an alternative cable.

FTDI make a cable stocked by various shops, incl Dontronics.com (Australia).  Its around $20USD.

You'll find a list of stockists and details here :-
http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Evalua … 2R-3V3.htm

This cable won't go in pin for pin onto the chumby.
All you have to do is extract 3 pins from the existing header (Yellow, Orange & Black) and hook them onto a 0.1" 4 pin header in the following order.

Yellow, Orange, No-wire, Black

Yellow goes in the "TX" pin of the Chumby.  As Duane said, you can probably get away with not soldering the header onto the chumby if you just position it right which is what I'm doing now smile

In windows, Putty set to 38400 baud works a treat smile  Have fun with the chumby console!

Edit : Doesn't need drivers in XP/Vista/Ubuntu...or if you do just download from ftdi site smile

is it possible to communicate with an external device over USB-Serial with Flash on the Chumby?

8 (edited by Madox 2008-04-28 06:51:27)

I think Duane answered elsewhere 'not at the moment' though they're considering something...and the only path now is to compile your own http daemon to handle the serial coms and provide XML to the flash widget...

OK, thanks

I have a project that might result in the sale of up to 500 chumbys, what is the timeframe to have a firmware release that will support any USB-Serial connections.

I need to decide whether to wait for that release or to go the hardwired route internally.

Well, every time I put out any kind of approximate date, people treat as The Absolute Truth and get all upset about what a big fat liar I am if we miss it.

Having said that, I think we're currently scheduling that release in late May or early June, barring any unforeseen problems.

Of course, there's nothing preventing you from building the kernel modules and building daemons today, with the current firmware.

I would never call you fat........thanks for all of the info on this.

as an update to this for anyone searching
plugging an arduino in today with an FTDI serial chip, makes a new device /dev/ttyUSB0 which seems to work great
thanks for the update chumbians!

What is the recommended way to stop the kernel messages and terminal on the built in serial port so it can be used for other purposes?

If you set the loglevel to 1 by doing SysRq+1, they'll go away.

I use GNU screen, and to issue this command I type Ctrl+A, Ctrl+B, 1.  The loglevel will go from 1-8.  I think if you were using Putty, you'd type Ctrl+Shift+SysRq, 1.  If you're using a serial device such as an Arduino, you'll want to drive the serial line HIGH, as described here: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaB … 1237491111

Hi ChumbyLurker, thanks for the tip. 2 follow ups however.

1) I'm not sure I understand, from your link it looks like you're suggesting that sending a serial break will make the terminal and log messages go away but I've tried that and it seems to have no effect.

2) What I was really hoping for was a programmatic way to do this, something I could do over SSH or via a debugchumby script without having to hook a computer to the serial port after each boot. And again I'm trying to get rid of both the kernel messages AND the shell.

Thanks in advance.

Try this:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/printk

Thanks, that takes care of the kernel messages but there is still a TTY (console) running on the serial port. When I list processes none of them look like TTY's to me so I don't know what to kill to get rid of it.

Answer found:

The shell is started by the /etc/inittab script as an "askfirst". Since that script isn't editable, however, I don't know how the behavior could be altered.