Topic: SPAM on the Forum

The Chumbysphere Forum seems to be getting spammed regularly by either bots or individuals that insert URLs in their account signatures. They usually either mangle a previous post or create a barely topical one to make it seem relevant to the discussion.

Barring the availability of forum enhancements that now seem to exist for other forum software (links permitted after some number of posts, additional levels of authentication required at account creation, etc.), is it worth our resident Chumbians' while for community members to report those SPAM posts we come across?

Chumbian feedback appreciated smile

Re: SPAM on the Forum

I'm curious to which ones you are referring.  I guess I have not been paying very good attention. tongue

You're welcome to report them - I'm usually pretty quick to catch and destroy them before most users see them.  I was unavailable over the Labor Day holiday which is why there were three or four of them in the forum until this morning.

For those not in the know, these are posts that are not obviously spam - they're typically "me, too!" types of posts that often have some superficial relevance to the threads to which they're posted.  The giveaway is that a Google search will show the identical post on multiple forums, and that there's typically a link to some product or service in the post or the signature.

Zoltar eated spams, and made sick on the couch one day. Rough day. bad day.

Zoltar wrote:

Zoltar eated spams, and made sick on the couch one day. Rough day. bad day.

Very sad. Zoltar need to work harder to extend sight to internets, prevent bellyache.