Topic: Problem playing FLV

Sigh. I am having problems playing an FLV on the Chumby and in the Chumby emulator under Adobe Device Central, but it works fine in Flash Player 8 or in the Flash Lite 3.0 emulator. I went back to the basics for playing video, created the project defined below in CS3, and cut'n'paste to eliminate errors:

http://wiki.chumby.com/mediawiki/index. … Connection

I use this to play the file: stream_ns.play("http://192.168.1.138/vod/babymonitor2.flv");

and have no problems in FP8 or the FL3.0 emulator, the video plays. But when I try to run it under the Chumby emulator from CS3 (CTRL+ENTER) , no video plays and I see this in the CS3 output: "FTPA014: getURL(http://192.168.1.138/vod/babymonitor2.flv) is ignored."

Not sure what to do next? I have tried a few things to no avail. I am using Flash Media Development Server 3.5 (comes with Apache 2.2 for the webserver).

Help, please! smile

Re: Problem playing FLV

Have you tried playing the video on the actual device, or only through the "emulator"?

I would advise against using any device "templates".  Just use a normal Flash file set to output at 8.  Be sure to familiarize yourself with the handful of items you are not able to use in FlashLite 3.

There is nothing out there that will replace actually running the flash file on the Chumby device itself.

Cheers.

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my post, although I alluded to it - yes, I did try playing the video on the actual device as well as under Device Central using a template. I too am cautious about the realities of a template vs. actual device, but so far in my simple applications I've experienced the same results under a template and on the actual Chumby.

So, to update this, it seems that I am not (was not) well versed in the security model of Flash, or the differences between the implementations of Flash versions. Adding a crossdomain.xml in the appropriate location in Flash Media Server (and configuring server.xml to reference it), allowing *.chumby.com seems to have resolved the problem - I can now play (and stream using rtmp) video on the Chumby (and under the device template).

So we're all good - except that after running a certain indeterminate length of time streaming via rtmp (30 mins to 4 hours), the application freezes on the Chumby. Running under the template, this also happens eventually, and it shows an 'Out Of Memory' error in the output window.

Not sure what is causing that OOM issue, but am researching. What I've noticed, by outputing the NetStream.BufferLength to a text label, it grows over time. Running under a template, I can 'freeze' the app for a few seconds by dragging the Device Central window around for x seconds and when I release the drag, the BufferLength jumps to show that it has buffered x more seconds. Obviously, this is something that will continue to grow and, apparently chew up what memory is available? Will look into this more, but if anyone has any pointers here....

Ah yes, the infamous crossdomain file. tongue

Out of curiosity, have you tried running the application as a desktop projector?  The buffering issue you're having seems very odd.

Cheers.