Topic: Question - differences between virtual and real chumby flash player

Hi,
   hoping a chumby peron can assist here.

I have written a widget which should run okay on the virtual Chumby but have found a silly probelem. No matter what color I set as the widget background (either is ActionsScript or as a stage setting) it comes out black (or very near it) on the virutal chumby. Works fine on real chumnby though. Any thoughts welcomed.

cheers

Nigel

smile:):)

2 (edited by cbreeze 2009-07-15 10:48:52)

Re: Question - differences between virtual and real chumby flash player

I have a had a similar problem, but mine seemed to be based on the version I had to output the Flash file as (it was some very old code).  I have no idea if this is the same in your case.

You might also try putting a "background" movie on the main stage, or perhaps you already have.

Cheers.

In Flash (not just Flash Lite), when one movie is loaded into another, the "background color" of the *loaded* movie is ignored.  Unfortunately, there's no mechanism in Flash to get or set the background color of a movie.  This means that you need to create a backdrop graphic within your widget if you want to display it in Virtual Chumby, since it loads each widget into itself.

Virtual Chumby uses black as the default color behind widgets, and that's what you're seeing.

In the real chumby, each widget is run standalone and thus the background color in the movie is used.

4 (edited by NigelS 2009-07-15 14:52:16)

Duane wrote:

In Flash (not just Flash Lite), when one movie is loaded into another, the "background color" of the *loaded* movie is ignored.  Unfortunately, there's no mechanism in Flash to get or set the background color of a movie.  This means that you need to create a backdrop graphic within your widget if you want to display it in Virtual Chumby, since it loads each widget into itself.

Virtual Chumby uses black as the default color behind widgets, and that's what you're seeing.

In the real chumby, each widget is run standalone and thus the background color in the movie is used.

cbreeze wrote:

I have a had a similar problem, but mine seemed to be based on the version I had to output the Flash file as (it was some very old code).  I have no idea if this is the same in your case.

You might also try putting a "background" movie on the main stage, or perhaps you already have.

Cheers.

cbreeze, Duane,
   thanks for the feedback - should fix my problem.

cheers

Nigel

smile  smile  smile