Topic: Websites do not work upon upload

I uploaded a flash (.swf) widget to the chumby website. It loads text from a website and displays it on the screen. On my computer, it works fine and loads the websites fine. However, once i loaded the chumby widget, where the text is supposed to be, it says: "onLoad = [type Function]" any suggestions?

Re: Websites do not work upon upload

What is the URL from which it's loading the data?  Does that site have a crossdomain.xml file?

I'm not sure what a crossdomain.xml file is? But it's a very basic HTML website and I don't have control over the contents. Here is one of them, all of the other websites I'm using are extremely similar, they just change the body of the text. Here is one example:
http://www.housing.umich.edu/dining/men … mple=LUNCH

Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

You will probably have to use yahoo pipes or get the web site to put in place a crossdomain.xml file. Basically, flash security does not allow you to execute cgi scripts in the way you are using them.

I don't necessarily have access to changing the website itself, but what is yahoo pipes?

Yahoo Pipes is a web service that allows you to create more web services. It uses a simple visual programming language to create "pipes" that can collect, aggregate, and reformat data from other sources.

Many chumby widget authors use this service to collect data from various sites and reformat it into a form more suitable for use by widgets. It also has the advantage that it serves up the required security permissions to allow access to the data from Flash.

The issue you're running into is not unique to the chumby - any hosted Flash movie (ie on a web page) would have the same problem.