Topic: skype?

is chumby sype or an other internet phone thingy compatible

Re: skype?

The current chumby prototypes do not have built-in microphones, so you'd have to add a USB sound input device with drivers, or hack the hardware to add a physical microphone - the "chumbilical" cable includes a line for the microphone.

what about the sofware will it work on chumby?

My understanding is that the Skype client is closed source, so I'm not sure how I'd go about trying to create a version for chumby.

Should the production units have a built-in microphone, all of the pieces necessary to implement a Skype or other VOIP client would be present.  All you'd need to do is convince the Skype folks to make a chumby version.

Does the chumby have the power to do VOIP?
My HTC phone has very roughly the same spec's as the chumby and it can barely squeek out VOIP.

Yes, that's an issue - VOIP requires realtime compression of audio, and interoperation requires supporting certain standard codecs, some of which are covered by patents that require licensing.  Just having a microphone is not in itself sufficient to implement VOIP.

It's too early to tell whether or not VOIP is practically implementable on the chumby.