Topic: Trying to create Flash Widgets

I'm trying to create a Flash Widget that will just display text.

I've tried it two ways -- once with dynamic text and once with static text.

The dynamic text one (Kathleen's Hello World), displays fine on the virtual chumby and not on the real one.  I do have my font embedded.

The static one - (Go to Bed), doesn't display on either, and also has the font embedded.

I'm trying to get over a hatred of Flash, but this isn't helping.

Also, I have a new chumby and changing the channel doesn't happen automatically, I have to reboot my chumby to get it to change the channel though alarms seem to work fine.

Thanks in advance for help -- and yes I've read through the wiki's, documentation and etc.

Re: Trying to create Flash Widgets

kathleen wrote:

I'm trying to create a Flash Widget that will just display text.

I've tried it two ways -- once with dynamic text and once with static text.

The dynamic text one (Kathleen's Hello World), displays fine on the virtual chumby and not on the real one.  I do have my font embedded.

The static one - (Go to Bed), doesn't display on either, and also has the font embedded.

I'm trying to get over a hatred of Flash, but this isn't helping.

Also, I have a new chumby and changing the channel doesn't happen automatically, I have to reboot my chumby to get it to change the channel though alarms seem to work fine.

Thanks in advance for help -- and yes I've read through the wiki's, documentation and etc.

Kathleen,
     not sure about the widget issue but as a Flash newbie also I can advise that the learning curve is not too steep. In the end I forgot all about moves and such and just focused on components like a standard object language. Apart from learning the object model which is a bit weird. you get used to it.

On the Channel front (assuming there arent any terminalogy issues) - widgets sit in a channel and do change every 30 seconds or so. Channels only change when you tell them to either manually of via an alarm.

So as example approach could be.

Monring Channel has weather and traffic cam widgets cycling

Lunchtime Channel has recipe of the day and news widgets cycling

Eveneing Channel has TV listing and stock market widgets cycling.

Then set timer to change to channels at 7:00, 12:00 and 17:00 or do it manually.

hope this helps

cheers

Nigel

:)  :)  :)

So I do have to reboot the chumby to change the channel if I do it on the website?

Still stuck on the programming end--I think it's because all my Flash books start with graphics design....  makes my head explode as I can't draw.

The good news -- is I don't put text on the screen, it works.

However, I am using Flash CS3 right now and not Flash CS4 (long story)

I went back to basic programming techniques, like Niguel said.

Produced a movie that just displayed a rectangle within a rectangle, worked like  champ.
Added static text, that didn't work.
Changed it to dynamic text and embedded the fonts, works!

I've got a chumby flashing a digital clock and then the message go to bed from 10:00 pm to midnight, just like I wanted.

Notice that I haven't gone to bed yet, which is the whole point of the widget!

kathleen wrote:

So I do have to reboot the chumby to change the channel if I do it on the website?

Still stuck on the programming end--I think it's because all my Flash books start with graphics design....  makes my head explode as I can't draw.

Kathleen,
     to change which channel is displaying (without reboot) hold down button on top of the chumby to bring up control panel - select channels - select change.

to change content of a channel eg add / remove widgets - use the web site.

cheers

Nigel