Topic: Chumby 2009 / 3.8 Hardware Differences

Hi Duane/Bunnie smile

Is there a list of 3.8 Hardware changes in the 2009 chumbies?
I checked the development page but it hasn't been updated and still shows the 3.7 / 0307 schematics etc.

smile Hoping for a quick reply as I'm soooooooo tempted by the $199AUD 2008 Chumbies vs the $349AUD 2009 Chumbies and would like to make an informed decision smile

Cheers
JC

Re: Chumby 2009 / 3.8 Hardware Differences

I've had a 2008 for over a year and a half and love it. Never any issues. The main thing 'people' talk about is automatic on after a power loss, but even in a year and a half THAT issue has never affected me. If mine died tomorrow (knock wood) I'd buy another just like I have. I don't get into it to make my own channels like some, so I don't know if that's better in the 2009, but I've got all my pandora stations and a _____load of other stuff!

I've got 2 Chumby 2008's from the early launch and I've not had issues either smile

I've bypassed the automatic on thing with a couple of resistors and a capacitor ... but still wonder if its worth $150AUD for the 2009...also if I should be using the 2009 for future hacking as the 2008 won't be available afterwards.

The differences are:

1) Different display/touchscreen.  The original display was no longer manufactured, so we replaced it with a panel from a different vendor.  The new panel is slightly brighter and some people seem to think the colors are bit more vivid, but that's a pretty subjective thing, and to me it's really only visible when they're set side-by-side with the same content.  This was the primary reason for the new version - we had to alter the motherboard for the new display anyway, so we addressed a couple of other issues while we were at it.

2) Change to the crypto processor to power up whenever power is applied to the device.

3) The backlight for the display is controllable, so you can change the brightness of the display beyond the two fixed levels.  This manifests in the Control Panel as a different UI when you select Settings->Brightness.  In 3.7 hardware, there are two radio buttons to set the display to full bright and dim, while in 3.8, you are presented with two sliders to set the normal brightness and the "night mode" brightness.  I believe this is the only place where the Control Panel differentiates between the two models.

4) There is a different affordance for the attachment of charms.  The 3.7 devices use a rivet, while the 3.8 devices have a little plastic attachment.  Both 3.7 and 3.8 devices also have a little magnet on the side opposite the charms. It's amazing how few people have noticed that - it's a little hardware "easter egg" we threw in.

5) We have an additional antenna wire on the wifi adapter, which may increase the range of the device for some people.  The geometry of your environment is still the biggest factor, however.

The USB, audio, processor, memory, etc are the same.

The devices run exactly the same firmware, widgets, Control Panel, etc - the drivers compensate for the minor differences in the brightness subsystem and default touchscreen calibration.

I'll remind bunnie to post the 3.8 schematics.

Thank you very very much for that Duane.

The display brightness and adjustable backlight is tempting me, but $199AUD ($143USD) is really tempting! ARGH.

I just picked up a 2008 model from internode for $199 and I love it. Although the viewing angle of the lcd isn't great (I use it as a bed side clock). I wonder if the newer version is any better, but $350 was a bit much for an impulse buy smile

The viewing angle of the display in the 2009 model is about the same as the 2008, though what happens when you get to the limit is bit different. In the 2008 models, the colors will seem to invert at the limits, especially if you look at it from below.  In the 2009 models, you'll get a bluish or pinkish cast depending upon whether you're viewing it from above or below.

This sort of thing is just inherent in LCD panels, which rely on polarization of transmitted light instead of active light generation (such as plasma).