Topic: Smart Home

How difficult would it be to use your chumby to control your X10/INSTEON appliances? I know that using sailing clicker you can use your cell phone to control some things, but using the chumby would be absolutely amazing. I will probably give it a try once I am done with classes (May 2007). Anybody trying something like this already?

Re: Smart Home

Chumby doesn't have Insteon controller hardware in it. So you have to have a PowerLinc somewhere. They are about $60. You might be able to figure out how to plug one into Chumby's USB port. There is an existing Linux project for controlling the USB PowerLinc once you get it hooked up.

Another strategy is to put the Powerlinc somewhere else like attached to a file server that is always on. Then you write a little app for the Chumby to talk to another app on the file server which sends USB messages to Powerlinc.

I believe Insteon controller chips only cost $2. But there is no simple way to integrate one into a Chumby since the Chumby uses a standard power brick.

Re: Smart Home

What about using the wireless connection?

I know that anybody is able to buy the developer kit and create applications to control Insteon appliances. I use a mac, and there is a very popular software (Indigo) that allows you to create scripts and web pages to control your devices from the web (or cell phone if you also buy Sailing Clicker). Will it then be possible to use the wireless abilities of the chumby to interact with another piece of software (we will use Indigo for the sake of an example) and control your house?

I want to know what you think about that idea!