Topic: Widget Control

Will there ever be a way to control widgets from the chumby touchscreen? Rather than getting out of bed, booting up the computer, connecting to the net... (yes, some of us do turn our computers off occasionally wink )

Re: Widget Control

you mean control a pc or something?

or do you mean have user-controllable widgets like a web browser?

need upload space for the forums or a chumby blog? right here then
http://www.nophus.com/useru
username is chumby
password is chumby

I mean use the chumby control panel to configure widgets for the chumby. At the moment, you have to log in to the chumby website to add and remove widgets manually. You can choose to have as many as you want. But say you wake up and you think..."I think I might call in sick, I wonder whether the surf's up this morning?"...if you have removed the surf report widget you have to go back to the website and add it before you see it. If you could add it from the control panel on chumby you wouldn't need to get out of bed...always a plus.

Chumby already has quite a few widgets operating...Duane put a list elsewhere on this site...do a search.

What we'll probably so is let you switch "profiles" - collections of preconfigured widgets.

So, for instance, you could tell your chumby to be in "alarm clock" mode, where you've set up you favorite widget to wake you up.  Once you're up, you could then switch it to "news" mode, where it starts playing back news headlines.

You would be able to create as many profiles as you want, add whatever widgets you want, but you'd still have to do that on the site.  You would be able to switch between them from the chumby.

We're also looking into full configuration from the chumby, however, that's a ways off.

5 (edited by chedabob 2006-09-30 08:29:04)

you could maybe have an xml file for configuring widget cycles, etc. and if there is the demand, make a small configure app/widget.

xml files work fantastically well on xbox for homebrew, so they could work for chumby.

EDIT: you could possibley mod the chumby web server to allow configuration from a pc, save doing any typing or whatnot on the chumby itself. im sure i mentioned this before.

username is chumby
password is chumby

The chumby already uses XML for all of its data transactions to/from the back end server.

Modifying the configuration through web server in the chumby would be no different than doing it from the display - neither knows about the contents of the widget database, which lives on the server.  If you're going to open a browser on a PC anyway, why not open it onto the chumby web site instead of the chumby itself?

This issue is one of balance of functionality - configuration of widgets is/will be a somewhat complicated process for some widgets, and we end up with the "enter freeform text" problem discussed in another thread.

Again - it's not impossible, it's just a lot of work that is lower priority than all of the other things we need to do.

so lemme get this straight: chumby doesnt store its widgets, they come from the server?

i dont mean to sound critical, but thats kinda daft. internet connections are exactly reliable. i couldnt imagine walkin into college and saying "oh, sorry im late. me internet connection broke and my alarm didnt go off".

username is chumby
password is chumby

Well once you get the widgets in memory, they should be able to stay there unless you had a prolonged power outage and the backup battery died.

I could also see widgets as important as the alarm clock widget being stored persistently in the Flash ROM, as there is some room left over (just not a great deal, but an Alarm clock widget shouldn't require much room).

I would imagine that in the future it may also be able to modify widget configurations locally (as in, your PC) and uploading the configuration packets to the Chumby website as soon as an internet connection became available (for, as far as I understand, it's just a modification of an XML file, which could be done in a web browser using either an "Ajax" application, or XForms, or a specialized Flash application), but I would agree that the refinement of that process is of much lower priority than actually getting the unit's hardware finalized and getting the OS itself on firm ground.

chedabob wrote:

so lemme get this straight: chumby doesnt store its widgets, they come from the server?

Yes, of course they do. The chumby might *cache* some widgets, but there isn't enough memory to store too many, particularly the larger ones.

Since many of the widgets are content-based, they're somewhat worthless without the connection anyway, since they would not be able to fetch the content they're supposed to display.

i dont mean to sound critical, but thats kinda daft. internet connections are exactly reliable. i couldnt imagine walkin into college and saying "oh, sorry im late. me internet connection broke and my alarm didnt go off".

The alarm functionality works even without a network connection - if the specified widget can't be loaded, it falls back to a built-in alarm.  It will also work without AC power - the chumby should wake up from hibernation to do the alarm, then suspend again.

still, a bit of swap space wouldnt hurt. i know most people are interested in some solid state memory for chumby, so why not format a memory card with say 20% swap and 80% content? it might increase chumbys performance ever so slightly. and open up a whole world of more memory intensive apps such as games etc.

how do you plan on letting devs use their widgets? do you upload the stuff to the chumby server, and back down to the chumby? or is there another way?

its good you have the backup protocols in place.

username is chumby
password is chumby

I don't think you get it, Chumby's persistent storage is in the form of a small Flash chip (I think it's 32MB IIRC), and most of it's used up with the storage of Linux. The rest is persistent data (which isn't  a lot), and I'm guessing the backup-alarm-widget.

Devs can load their widgets by spoofing Chumby.com in their DNS records, or by physically loading the widgets onto the ROM through a JTAG port or by SSHing in.

Duane, the profiles idea sounds great. That is what I was hoping could be done because I'd like to have just a night time clock widget on a chumby, if it was on my nightstand. I'd actually like an even duller version of what is available, as I mentioned elsewhere, because the cycling widgets can be a little like trying to sleep with a TV screen on...which is magnified by my having mirrored wardrobe doors and a large glass sliding door in my bedroom which bounce the light everywhere.

I lost my wireless connection for while the other day and chumby reverted to the simple digital clock face widget. So it was still functional as a clock but didn't have the other content appearing. It would have still worked as an alarm. If mains power also went out, it would maintain its clock function by using the backup battery.

We expect that people wanting to create widgets and test them on the chumby directly will put them on a USB dongle, ssh into the device, and invoke the player on them.

In some future version of the software, we'll probably have the player automatically recognize widgets on USB dongle and include them in the rotation, so all you'd have to do is plug it in and that's it.

Using some of the current debug backdoors, you can do something like that now - you just make a little one-line script to launch the player, and boot with the dongle inserted.

To get the full capability of widget configuration, you'd have to upload them to the chumby server so that the database can save and restore the configuration each time the widget is invoked, and have the site present the UI for configuration.

would you ever consider releasing the chumby server code to devs? cos say in an apartment complex, it would be much easier to have a bunch of chumbys runnin off a local server, using very little bandwidth, than pullin off an external server.

username is chumby
password is chumby

Well, you'd have to have not only the server code, but also all of the widgets, and all of the content servers.  You would also have to maintain the database entries for those users.

Many people are licensing their widgets to *us* for distribution, but are not granting rights for redistribution to the users.  In other words, you don't have the right to rehost the widgets themselves, even if you had our server code.

Of course giving away the server code also destroys our business model, so we don't make money, so no more chumbys for anyone.  I'm not sure how that makes much sense.

it doesnt really tongue

i just thought it would be good for devs to be able to tinker with things, and for say an apartment complex, the widgets could be coded for specific things.

username is chumby
password is chumby

chedabob wrote:

it doesnt really tongue

i just thought it would be good for devs to be able to tinker with things, and for say an apartment complex, the widgets could be coded for specific things.

Well you can certainly do that on your own - most of the interaction with the server is handled by the Control Panel Flash movie.  You can certainly put together your own server, your own widgets, and replace the Control Panel.  In fact, you don't even have to run Flash if you don't want to.  Nothing we've done is black magic.

Every tool we used the create the software on the current product is public, with the sole exception of the Flash Player.  You can modify or replace the kernel, you can run something like Qtopia or J2ME or Squeak or any number of other platforms.

can i have a chumby to get qtopia running on it ? big_smile

username is chumby
password is chumby

chedabob wrote:

can i have a chumby to get qtopia running on it ? big_smile

Well, that's not my decision, but in any case we're all out of chumbys at the moment.  We have another production run in progress, but it will be a while before they come off the line.

tongue damn, was worth a try.

username is chumby
password is chumby

Duane wrote:

Of course giving away the server code also destroys our business model, so we don't make money, so no more chumbys for anyone.  I'm not sure how that makes much sense.

i'm confused.  do you have any info on your business model?   the website states "shooting for $150 [...] nothing else to buy"   

so i suppose you are maybe selling advertising on your configuration pages?  streaming ads to with the widgets to the device? 
in anycase i don't see how you won't make money if you allow the chumby to be detatched when we have "nothing else to buy".

forgive me if i just missed something.   

forgive me as well but i don't think of advertising as "free" either.   i'm just trying to understand, am new here but don't see anything about this on the forums nor main site.   i want to understand how excited i can really get about this "open source" device if really you are going to pull in the reigns after we contribute as a community. 

it has tons of potential as far as i can tell.
thanks!

OoerictoO wrote:

i'm confused.  do you have any info on your business model?   the website states "shooting for $150 [...] nothing else to buy"   

so i suppose you are maybe selling advertising on your configuration pages?  streaming ads to with the widgets to the device? 
in anycase i don't see how you won't make money if you allow the chumby to be detatched when we have "nothing else to buy".

forgive me if i just missed something.   

forgive me as well but i don't think of advertising as "free" either.   i'm just trying to understand, am new here but don't see anything about this on the forums nor main site.   i want to understand how excited i can really get about this "open source" device if really you are going to pull in the reigns after we contribute as a community. 

it has tons of potential as far as i can tell.
thanks!

The current plan is to offer free access to many widgets, subsidized by advertising, or the user can choose a subscription to get the widgets without advertising.  There *may* also be some "premium" widgets offered by some third parties that may be "pay to play", but that's up to those third parties, and we'd prefer them not to do it.

As I mentioned in this and other threads, we *are* a business, and we have investors that have poured substantial capital into the company, and certainly $150, which is basically our cost on the hardware, is not going to pay the bills, if you're *also* using our back-end service.  If you choose to use the chumby to *not* use our service, which we've provided ample documentation on how to do, then you won't be paying us anything after your purchase. If you like, we've even given you enough information to make your *own* chumby, so you don't have to pay us *anything*, ever.   That's entirely your choice.

I can certainly understand that you might consider advertising a burden - just don't expect us to pay all the expenses for your use of our service, because that's a burden on us.  We are indeed "free" (except for the Flash Player, which is licensed from someone else), but more "free-as-in-freedom", not "free-as-in-no-cost" - just like the GPL.  We've given you the ability and freedom to hack the device as you wish.

Certainly, this may not be "free" or "open" enough for some people, and fully we accept that.

Duane wrote:

The current plan is to offer free access to many widgets, subsidized by advertising, or the user can choose a subscription to get the widgets without advertising.  There *may* also be some "premium" widgets offered by some third parties that may be "pay to play", but that's up to those third parties, and we'd prefer them not to do it.

As I mentioned in this and other threads, we *are* a business, and we have investors that have poured substantial capital into the company, and certainly $150, which is basically our cost on the hardware, is not going to pay the bills, if you're *also* using our back-end service.  If you choose to use the chumby to *not* use our service, which we've provided ample documentation on how to do, then you won't be paying us anything after your purchase. If you like, we've even given you enough information to make your *own* chumby, so you don't have to pay us *anything*, ever.   That's entirely your choice.

I can certainly understand that you might consider advertising a burden - just don't expect us to pay all the expenses for your use of our service, because that's a burden on us.  We are indeed "free" (except for the Flash Player, which is licensed from someone else), but more "free-as-in-freedom", not "free-as-in-no-cost" - just like the GPL.  We've given you the ability and freedom to hack the device as you wish.

Certainly, this may not be "free" or "open" enough for some people, and fully we accept that.

thanks for the info.  i'd never begrudge you making money nor an obviously valid business model.  i just couldn't find info on it, nor your intentions.  so i'd love to continue to contribute so long as you won't lock down our chumbys due to "required software upgrades" etc.... if i can ever get ahold of one.  :-)

i sell advertising on my own websites.

shall i search on DIY chumby stuff?   or can you point us to it? 

thanks!  lookin great so far, i continue to be impressed!

Well, there will be software upgrades, mainly to fix bugs or add features.

And there *will* be a security layer in the production units, but the purpose is not DRM, but rather to protect *your* data.  After all, we can't expect you to trust the chumby with your stock portfolio, your eBay account information, your MySpace account, if anyone can spoof your device and capture all of your personal information, or leech off your subscription.

The Flash Player also has a security sandbox that protects the user's data and reduces the possibility of chumbys begin hijacked to perform DDOS attacks.

I know other companies spout a lot of rhetoric about "protecting the user" while actually protecting themselves *from* the user, so I can imagine some of this is being met with scepticism from some quarters.

The issue or whether or not to *force* software upgrades is a tough one.  If you have known bugs out there (as we currently do in our prototypes), such that both the service and the user suffer, then as a business, it's expensive to have obsolete devices out there.  The problem is that certain major players in the industry have perverted the meaning of "upgrades" to actually refer to "downgrades" where the user's ability to use the device is reduced rather than enhanced.

But here's the thing - you don't really have to trust us. The software for all this (again, minus the Flash Player) is *open* - if you want to look at it and see what we're doing, you can.

The wiki is currently the best source of information about the device.

Another good source of info on the chumby business model is bunnie's talk for the Fulbright Chair Speaker Series at USC Center of Public Diplomacy from Nov 21, 2006. bunnie talks about reverse engineering for the first 40 mins or so and then gives the most comprehensive explanation of what chumby is about currently available in the public forum. The audio is available here: http://uscpublicdiplomacy.com/index.php … tail/2036/

Steve (CEO) also did a webcast quite early on http://wifinetnews.com/ which talked about the essence of chumby. Do a search for chumby on the site and it will take you to Podcast #21.

What is very cool about chumby is that even though it is not released people are talking about chumby as having a certain "spirit"...this is such an interesting ride to be on...I feel very fortunate to have a front row seat...