Topic: Problem - Major Alarm Malfunction with New Beta

My alarm was set to go off this morning and it did not go off. My Chumby had been in sleep mode, but for some reason the alarm did not activate. The alarm did go off yesterday and Monday and I also checked to make sure it was set and it was (the box was checked and it was in red). I'm assuming this is a problem with the Beta b/c it has never happened to me before. I also had the "back up" alarm feature set, but that also did not go off. Anyone have any thoughts.

Re: Problem - Major Alarm Malfunction with New Beta

RMSko,
Just a quick question regarding your situation.  What SW/FW versions are you running on your chumby?  You can check by going to the Control Panel, then 'Settings' then 'Chumby Info'.  It should be on the 2nd line from the top.

-Sam

I'm not at home now, but I'm pretty sure it's the most recent. In fact, my Chumby asked me to do a software update about 2 weeks ago. I can check when I get home.

Ok.  Well, let's say it's the most recent SW which is ver 1.6.  I would recommend first, checking your alarm setup.  Delete the alarm and recreate it using the failsafe in case of connectivity loss.  And let's see if it happens again.

-Sam

I can confirm some alarm flakiness. I have a daily alarm that switches channels at 12:01pm. Didn't work one day last week and didn't work today. Not catastrophic, but I guess a sign that something's still glitchy. Firmware and CP are all the most current rev.

Here's an update on my alarm problem. This morning something just as strange happened. The alarm "kind of" went off. I had it set to go off at 6 am and then also had the backup set to "on", with the backup set to go off 2 minutes after the regular alarm (6:02). The alarm that went off at 6 am was a beeping alarm, which I assume is the backup alarm since my alarm is set to play music from my USB. 

I'm running HW 1.7, SW 1.6.0 and FW 733.

RMSko,
I haven't been able to reproduce the problem here, so I'd like to know if you can provide me with your /psp/alarms file so we can run the test here.

sam m wrote:

RMSko,
I haven't been able to reproduce the problem here, so I'd like to know if you can provide me with your /psp/alarms file so we can run the test here.

Sure. Just tell me how to do that. Thanks.

Sorry about that.  Just email your alarm file on the dongle to offlinesupport@chumby.com

sam m wrote:

Sorry about that.  Just email your alarm file on the dongle to offlinesupport@chumby.com

Sorry - still not sure what you mean. Any step by step instructions?

11 (edited by joltdude 2008-08-08 04:14:11)

I think what Rskyco is saying is he's not quite a hacker as some of the users on the forums are and needs directions on how to copy the file out of his chumby... presumably step by step on how to SCP or use ssh to connect to the chumby...

As an aside.. Im wondering if doing a firmware upgrade from USB (with resetting the settings/alarms).. might resolve the new problems with the alarm subsystem....that people seem to be having.. I haven't had any alarm issues but then again i dont have any alarms that fallover to the next day and I have only one or two alarms in a day...

Well I've finally identified the alarm issue, which may lead to another bug. My alarm is set to play music from my USB port. It's been doing this for months with no problem. However, all of a sudden it stopped reading from the USB. I found this out by trying to play music from the USB, but when I did, sic it said "No Files Found." I took out my USB, plugged it back in and had the same error. I then took it out for about 10 minutes, put it back in, and then all was back to normal. The alarm played perfectly again this morning. The remaining issue is why it stopped reading from my USB. I hadn't done anything with the port. Perhaps when you run a new control panel or s/w you need to "reset" the USB???

There is a known issue that has been bugged where the chumby will not mount the USB device.  So if you plug in the USB and try to play the files using the 'My Music Files' and it doesn't find any file on your USB drive, it means that it failed to mount the USB. 

You can take the USB out and try it again, and eventually it will mount.  Once it does, the USB should be able to be used for an alarm.  However, if the chumby reboots for any reason (manual or update), chances are the USB might not mount on boot, so you'd have to make sure the USB is readable by the chumby by going to the 'My Music Files' and checking if the chumby is reading the USB.

Thanks,
Sam

sam m wrote:

There is a known issue that has been bugged where the chumby will not mount the USB device.  So if you plug in the USB and try to play the files using the 'My Music Files' and it doesn't find any file on your USB drive, it means that it failed to mount the USB. 

You can take the USB out and try it again, and eventually it will mount.  Once it does, the USB should be able to be used for an alarm.  However, if the chumby reboots for any reason (manual or update), chances are the USB might not mount on boot, so you'd have to make sure the USB is readable by the chumby by going to the 'My Music Files' and checking if the chumby is reading the USB.

Thanks,
Sam

Very helpful, thanks.