Topic: What do you want your chumby to do?

Id like a chumby that played an alarm sound, played some mp3s, and displayed my Gmails. and then showed the rss feed of a few sites. i dont reckon its too much to ask.

Whats everybody else want?

P.S. a lite web browser would be nice, for browsing delicious bookmarks and stuff. and some video playback (id like to wake up to the newest episode of diggnation or red vs blue).

need upload space for the forums or a chumby blog? right here then
http://www.nophus.com/useru
username is chumby
password is chumby

Re: What do you want your chumby to do?

other than the gmail i think that that is what the this is intended to do.

The only other thing I wold like is Shockwave support but sadly I don't see adobe providing a shockwave player with a small enough foot print ( let alone be nice enough to give one to linux users)

I know I am repeating myself here..

- read .pdfs/.txts so I can get away from my desk
- have a cute, customisable face screensaver that I could integrate into my outerwear designs (toys etc.)

Oh...and give me updates when my collaborative blogs/wikis/projects sites are updated by team members.

I think all these things are probably possible...unfortunately not for me to create myself...I'm relying on others to provide this kind of functionality.

I want to use it to schedule my tivo.

Also I want it to show me my schedule, address book, PIM, etc.

Also a webcam checker, a simple calculator, stock charts, a calorie counter, a flash card quiz tool, a translation dictionary, Google Maps, etc.

6 (edited by T.W.G 2006-09-06 01:34:27)

Hi,

my wishlist for multiple chumbys at home.

In the bathroom (while brushing your teeth or taking a bath):
- read your emails (no response, reading is more than ok)
- read rss feeds
- read news
- check your schedule (perhaps some way to sync with normal PIMs like Outook or Palm Desktop)

in the bedroom:
- wake up with mp3 music (If you just want an MP3-Alarmclock you better buy a Philips pss110 or B & O Beosound 3 or the upcoming Philips WAK3300 Wifi-Alarmlcock)
- check your schedule

in the living room:
- check the tv-programm on your chumby
- control your equipment with an ir-sensor and the chumby
- read emails
- read news
- read rss

in the kitchen:
- read news
- read rss
- read emails
- look for your receipes

So what you should be able to mod your chumby to do (excuse my english, I'm german) ;-)

general chumby-feature-wishlist:

- reading emails
- reading rss-feeds
- reading news
- listening to mp3 (should be possible from a Stick, it's bad if you need a computer running all day)
- listening to internetradio stations
- control audio/video equipment with an ir-sensor from the chumby
- look for cooking receipes
- check you schedule
- chumby could remind you on your schedules
- look at a slideshow or let it act as a digital picture frame (who puts a pda on his desk for doing this?)
- have cool flash animations as screen savers
- have e.g. an Apple Mac OS X Skin on this device
- mod it with nice wooded housing to fit your living style
- see what your aibo sees through wifi ... this would be ultra cool ;-)
- display personal messages for the family on your chumby

actualy I have no more ideas but I think there's more to come out of my brain

Greetings

Thomas

Watch my cat at home from work via webcam to find out where she is hiding my hair elastics.

display local weather forecast when alarm goes off, maybe sync with outlook to display calendar, tasks, apts

For the whole gmail thing, couldn't you just use gmail's rss feed, or perhaps the wap version of gmail?

I can't believe no one has mentioned games yet!

Games, interactive games played over wireless, over the internet.

nah, not enough processing power to be good. and the touch screen wouldnt be that good for games.

username is chumby
password is chumby

I have to say I don't understand the "not enough processing power to do anything" thing.

266MHz is plenty of speed for a lot of things, and there are a lot of Flash games that would probably run more than fine.
I have a Nokia S60 phone running FlashLite 2 and there are games out there (for both FlashLite 1.1 and 2.0) that are plenty fast.
Also there are games where you don't need speed.

But I agree that the touch screen limits what you can do.

...anybody wants to write a pinball game that uses the "squeezy" sensor ? smile

you would need two squeezy sensors, but it would be cool. you could use the accelerometer on the h4x0r board to simulate shaking the machine.

username is chumby
password is chumby

I'd love for a Chumby to make me a ham sandwich. That would be a device id spend like....a gazillion dollars on. wink

(sorry) Man I love all this hype over a clock. OMG i really cant wait till day 1 release. Thinking of getting 2? (sorry)

saied, totally copying my avatar, mad I need new one.

~Ryan~

Warpling wrote:

saied, totally copying my avatar, mad I need new one.

Oh!! but I have a patent on this!

smile

Not sure why you'd want to play games on a chumby...my DSLite is what I'd grab for that...mobile phone/windoze built in games are totally mindnumbing...besides the touchscreen is not sensitive enough for really interesting game play.

18 (edited by indust 2006-09-09 23:14:52)

I don't have a Chumby or any smallish Wi-Fi devices. I'd like a Chumby to be my first.

Some of these requests may already be implemented, and some may be completely impossible.

Prioritized Wish-List:
1) Remote computing (a simple Wi-Fi VNC viewer to connect to my desktop computer)
2) Web browsing (could look similar to Opera browser in "Small Screen" view)
3) Support The Gizmo Project (with a microphone, Gizmo functionality could turn Chumby into a VOIP phone)
4) Support an XML based playlist created from your desktop computer to stream MP3s over Wi-Fi.

I like the RSS requests many of you have mentioned, but that just seems so basic to me. I see a lot more potential in this device.

I think a lot of bigger features could be opened up to possibility if there is a way to utilize the Chumby's Wi-Fi connection to connect to your main desktop computer (whether you are at home or not). That "real" computer could handle the heavy processing tasks, and Chumby would simply be the remote control and screen. All Chumby would need is a linux software solution to provide the remote connection to the main computer, and a touchscreen app to control the remote machine. The remote machine could have "middle-man" software to facilitate the remote viewing, compressing images before they are transmitted, and so on. Wi-Fi connections can be plenty fast for a great VNC experience.

5) Real quick idea- if you combine the Wi-Fi VNC idea with the Squeeze censor, you could squeeze Chumby to "Zoom In" on the remote screen. If it has a quick reaction time, a "double-squeeze" could lock in the zoom, and another "double-squeeze" could zoom out.

Quick question - is there any way to split up the squeeze censor to be more location-specific (detect a squeeze on the right OR left size of the Chumby)?

UPDATE: I have since learned that a Chumby is not portable, but that doesn't change my wish-list. Besides, it's much more portable than my laptop, and affordable enough to have more than one (based on projected cost). Hopefully it can shut down/start up more quickly than my laptop, too, so switching rooms wouldn't be a big deal.

^^

its designed to stay on all the time. it also has a 1 hour battery backup.

username is chumby
password is chumby

I would love it if I could stream the XM Radio internet feed to Chumby.

I'm a bit confused. Seems like some folks want their chumby to do pretty much everything that their PC does. OK, no one wants to run their day job on the chumby (..dare someone to say they want to run Excell on their chumby), but they want all the recreational freedom of their PC on the chumby.

Isn't that what ..er..PCs are for? And isn't the point of the chumby something that you can have in bed, like a book. Isn't the market for this Lonelygirl10 thru 15, as seen on the chumby home page? In which case you can expect more than half of chumby owners not to own a PC.

The way i'd wanna use this is go to chumby.com and setup my entertainment centre, whoops!...I mean chumby....by dragging a bunch of cool things into my profile, and they just run on my chumby.

Photo console
MP3 Player
Alarm Clock
Email reader
Wake up Message of the day (from Daniel)
Wake up Weather of the day
Myspace notifications
etc
So it's basically Netvibes for kids.

Sorry to be dumb this all down. But I think that's actually a pretty cool $99 gadget for xmas. I'd buy one for my daughter.

Ok geeks -- I'm waiting for someone, somewhere to come up with a non-linear scheduler.  The PDA world doesn't get this, but maybe Chumbygeeks will. 

I want a calendar that doesn't look like a graph and I want a to-do list that has no lines.  Imagine pictures, colors, or shapes that represent different values, such as when something's due, or how important it is.  Let me group tasks by values such as where this task will be done (phone, computer, car), or who I'm doing it for (work, family, friends). 

At the low end, it could look like kartoo.com -- a basic map of the relation between tasks, or between tasks and events, or time.  High end, I would flip on Chumby and see a beach scene, or a skateboard park, or outer space, and everything in the scene would represent some task or event, with impending dates looming larger or closer in the scene. 

May sound crazy to the hack crowd, but it's us non-linears who need it.  This is the way we think -- in pictures, in metaphors, thoughts grouped by relationships or categories.   Please help us, the line-challenged of the world.  And when you do, and you make lots of money off this idea, just remember me with free access to your product for life : D  That's all I ask. 

Many, many thanks!    cool

peachgeek wrote:

May sound crazy to the hack crowd, but it's us non-linears who need it.  This is the way we think -- in pictures, in metaphors, thoughts grouped by relationships or categories.

So correct, very nice thinking peachgeek. I hope someone (maybe me) will be able to provide you with that. Here's To Great Thinking. Cheers.

(sorry) Man I love all this hype over a clock. OMG i really cant wait till day 1 release. Thinking of getting 2? (sorry)

I'm with you peachgeek...

im not sure what you mean by "non-linear scheduler", but hell, im for it.

username is chumby
password is chumby