Topic: Button modes: short press -> next widget, long press -> control panel

I would like to see a configurable button:

- short, long and double press on the button should be possible (activation of next widget, control panel, music player, channel,...)

and accelerometer:
- widget next, previous, stay with left, right, forward movement of the chumby

and microphone:
- usage of the microphone for input? A simple voice recognition for a few commands should be possible (cyberon does it on windows mobile devices with nearly the same hardware). Or snooze alarm by clapping...

Switching the widget with a "Next" would really be cool!

BR
Reflex

Re: Button modes: short press -> next widget, long press -> control panel

I agree that there needs to be a way for the user to cycle to a particular widget more quickly than going into the control panel and selecting the widget they want to view. Some sort of a universal control like a triple click on the left or right of the screen to move forward / back.

In regard to the control panel, you alreay have the hardware button for that, I I don't see a big need for that.

What about a mouse gesture based universal command list? I love using mouse gestures on my browsers which allow me very quickly to go to different tabs / reload / history forward back/forward etc.

anyway, my 2c

Cheers,
Aran

It prob would work better like a press and hold the top button and a gesture left or right. That way the Master application would know what to do since the button is being held down. I do not really see any way around that since the API as Duane has said somewhere else recently is a Master / Slave sand-boxed something or other to protect the security of the applications and the device.

MyridoM

When someone annoys me, it takes 42 muscles in my face to frown...but it takes only 4 muscles to extend my arm and b**ch-slap you!
http://haunterofthenight.com/ * new blog location

I like where this idea is going.

The Clapper!

Any reason why I shouldn't be able to throw this thing into Night Mode by clapping twice?

Slave to the Light, Inc.
Los Angeles & Seattle USA
www.slavetothelight.com

@misterhee:
about the idea with a triple screen click: how do you know that the widget doesnt consume this input?
A button press and an additional gesture seems 2 complicated 4 me...

Take a leaf out of the iPhone's book: single and double press only.