Topic: My chumby classic is dead

I played a little bit with the offline firmware and now my chumby classic is dead.
I'm not able to into special option screen. If i try to do so the screen tells booting into special options but nothing happens.

Is there anything I can do now ?

Every hint is welcome :-)

Re: My chumby classic is dead

If it's not booting into "Special Options", it's likely bricked.

Duane, what about reloading the stock firmware image onto the MicroSD externally?  Might that resuscitate it?

The classic chumby has no microSD card.
There are only two usb ports.

Oh, classic.  Derp.  Sorry about that >_<

Is there any way to unbrick the little device ?

Sorry, no - the Classic requires a special jig in which you insert the circuit board, which of course means that the device would need to be disassembled, which is hard to do on a Classic.

The jig was disposed of many months ago - even if we had the jig, the computer and software to drive it are long gone.

One of the devices (I'm not sure if it's the classic) can be booted over serial with some hardware hacking - unfortunately I don't have any information on how to do that.  You basically short some pins and the use a special protocol to dump data directly into RAM - the idea would be to get just enough in to flash the rest of the device.  Bunnie might know.

That are bad news ;-(
Then my time with my chumby ends here.

Bye and thanks for your support.

Just to be clear, the offline firmware likely had nothing to do with the bricking since the rootfs on the CC is read only.  Probably just a bad coincidence.

As for un-bricking, can you eliminate the power supply as the problem?  I've heard people say that they can see the special options boot menu but it hangs if the power supply is on it's way out.

Other than that, the only thing I can think would be to open it up and put on a TTL-Serial device to see what the console is spitting out.  That will likely shed some light on the problem.

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

Le Tartar wrote:

I played a little bit with the offline firmware and now my chumby classic is dead.
I'm not able to into special option screen. If i try to do so the screen tells booting into special options but nothing happens.

Where do you live?  Since I got my chumby 8, my chumby classic sits in a drawer.  You can have it you want it.  I can ship it if you like.

kgeissler wrote:
Le Tartar wrote:

Where do you live?  Since I got my chumby 8, my chumby classic sits in a drawer.  You can have it you want it.  I can ship it if you like.

Le Tartar

Not sure how expensive it is to ship to Germany. It is a mighty fine offer though.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Damn...I didn't even see that he was from Germany.  I don't mind mailing it if he wants to pay for shipping.

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:
kgeissler wrote:
Le Tartar wrote:

Le Tartar

Not sure how expensive it is to ship to Germany. It is a mighty fine offer though.

@kgeissler

Thanks for your offer, but I imported my first chumby from USA and it costs about 80-100$ for shipping, taxes and customs.
That's to much money for the little devices with an unknown future.

Thanks again for the offer.
You can give to msharp42.

I just  bought an archos 35 home connect as a replacement :-)

Le Tartar wrote:

@kgeissler

Thanks for your offer, but I imported my first chumby from USA and it costs about 80-100$ for shipping, taxes and customs.
That's to much money for the little devices with an unknown future.

Thanks again for the offer.
You can give to msharp42.

I just  bought an archos 35 home connect as a replacement :-)

If you would, let us know what you think of the Archos 35.

Thanks

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

The archos is a total different device. It's a little bit bigger than my chumby classic. Like every android device there is no chanal system like the chumby has. It has one central clock app which will be activated if the device is idle. But with the android OS you can install a lot of apps to compensate the lack of chanals. With a task scheduler you can start apps at any time to simulate the automatic change of apps like in a chanal. And with the chumby app you can have a little bit of chumby feeling.
The Archos offers a lot of multimedia features like audio/video streaming of network drives in various formats.
The sound of the speakers is very good compared to the size of the speakers.

I really miss my chumby but the Archos is a very interresting device too.

Hope that helps.

This is very interesting, is the night screen of the Archos 35 Home Connect also dimmable like the Chumby? The Chumby Classic has such a nice night screen, I have the light on a very low setting, so that I can read the clock in the night but the chumby is not at all illuminating the room. Is that possible on the Archos as well?

What do you think about the touch screen of the Archos? On reviews this is the main point of criticism.

Thanks

17 (edited by bobsz 2012-08-30 20:59:24)

Not to hijack this thread... But.. I just got a bargain BlackBerry Playbook 16gb because I had heard that the sound quality is excellent and screen is beautiful. I was basically looking for a portable net radio. I can't really review after only using it for 5 hours, just wanted to confirm that it's true re good sound and look. Not as much  native multimedia stuff as an Android, but I'll comment more in that thread on "Love my Chumby(s) but..." Just wanted to mention this because this 16 gb one is being discontinued. Read the online reviews carefully re limitations. Not a Chumby substitute at all, but sounds GREAT. (But so many ads!)