Topic: I just wanted to thank those who continue to keep my Chumby alive!

I know it's had it's ups and downs, but I am glad there are still dedicated people who continue to keep the service going.

I thought it was dead a few months ago and I didn't realize how much I missed it when it was down.
So I just wanted to say thanks.

"Thanks!" smile

Re: I just wanted to thank those who continue to keep my Chumby alive!

I completely agree.  Today more than ever have I realized how much I love my Chumbies and Insignias.  Thanks for all your continued efforts and I look forward to finally downloading the control panel later today.

spoonman wrote:

"Thanks!" smile

+1

Yes, very cool, many thanks!

I have been wondering, apart from the personal time that Duane (and others?) have been giving to this, how are all the server resources paid for?  I remember reading that they are currently hosted at Amazon, but that can't be free (or even cheap, I would guess).  Was it already paid for before Chumby closed its doors?  How much longer?

Somebody is paying for the servers.  Perhaps someday soon they will say who they are.

Well, whomever is paying the bills, a big thanks goes out to them.  (as does to you Duane)

Many thanks from here, too!

Yes, many thanks to them and to you Duane. And if anyone ever wants to start a Kickstarter or something to keep paying for the servers, I'll definitely contribute smile

marcev wrote:

Well, whomever is paying the bills, a big thanks goes out to them.  (as does to you Duane)

Couldn't have said it better!

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

To whoever keeps my Chumbys working, I want to say "Thank you!" also.

My Story:
I have made a significant (to me) investment in the chumby hardware. Even though it can be modified to my heart's content, I do not. I would if I had more time. So, to whoever is keeping the chumby ecosystem going and keeping it simple for me, I thank you. I love the device concept, and I would love to see it continue.

Note:
If there is any doubt to the health of chumby's current ecosystem, I hope those folks drop us a hint. I would very much be interested in providing some monetary support. I would hope others who find these devices useful, would do the same.

Earlier this week was the first time I was aware that the Chumby group went out of business and was I was upset that my Chumbys  were lost to me. My alternate Chumby continued to function while the second would not load the control panel and would not function. With my limited knowledge of the internals of this hardware, I assumed the one that continued to function had the control panel embedded in its firmware and as long as I didn't reboot from a powered down state the device would continue to function in a scaled down condition. And it has. Nevertheless, tonight when I hit the control button on the non-functioning Chumby, it booted successfully. And then when I went to the chumby home page, VOILA! It was there when two days ago it was not. I am assuming some good Samaritan (You?) re-established the home page and associated Chumby packages. In any event, whether it was you or whoever, you have my sincere gratitude for giving my Chumbys back to me. Keep me posted on what future needs are to keep my Chumbys operational.
J V Cowan, Houston

I also want to express my sincere thanks to Duane, Doktor Jones and whoever is generous enough to pay for the Chumby server. My four Chumbys have become an important part of my life, from waking me up in the morninng to allowing me to listen to streaming radio stations to letting me watch the local weather radar for approaching storms in the afternoon, I would really hate to be without them. Thanks to all of you.

To be fair, more or less all I do is keep the spammers out of the forums wink

Duane is the man behind the curtain, the Wizard of Chumby if you will.

To the Chumby fan in the grassy knoll, thanks for keeping the servers running...

15 (edited by jskeletti 2012-10-11 13:57:44)

So I also want to thank you guys! :-)

I Love my Chumby & would be willing to pay a small fee to keep it going every month. My resources are limited but I can put in time to organize & help with making a plan for a fee based subscription plan. Duane, you have worked so hard & always provided Excellent Support. I am so grateful. Thanks for making the fireplace for me & helping me setup the Nuble Light Webcam. I love my I <3 radio too ~ so I can listen to Coast to Coast AM on the wknds when the NYC station does not carry the program. I am getting a bit sick of George Noury's Right Wing views thought. Liked it so much better when Art Bell stuch to UFO & other out of this world topics!