Topic: Wifi conenction being dropped a LOT lately

OK, this post is going to be a bit vague, but that's unavoidable, as I'm a bit lost as to how to even go about figuring out what in the world's going on.

For about a week or so now, my Chumby classic has been dropping its connection a LOT more often than it used to.  It would almost never do this before, and then, all of a sudden, it started dropping the connection at least once a day.  This morning, yet again, I was awakened by the default alarm, and not the internet radio station I have it set up for, which got me VERY aggravated to see that the connection was dropped YET AGAIN, which is not a good way to start the day, especially a Monday.  I've even tried setting up a wifi range extender I have, placing it just a few feet away from the Chumby, and then connecting the Chumby to that, but it doesn't seem to help.  I'm so frustrated, I feel like chucking the Chumby across the room!

I don't have a problem reconnecting, though, and I have no problem with any other equipment that connects via wifi.  I have no idea what could possibly be different now.  has there been any change in firmware, or anything like that?  It almost seems like the Chumby has lost its ability to automatically try reconnecting, or something.

The really frustrating thing is that I don't even know how to figure out what in the world is going on.  On most other computers & devices, I can go into the control panel and have a bit of an idea what I'm doing and can try different things to attempt to solve the problem, but I don't know where to go from here with the Chumby.  I have a couple USB wifi adapters I could try, but I don't even know how to try to use them with the Chumby, as I get no indication when an adapter is connected, I have no idea how to tell if its connected via the built-in wifi or the adapter, etc.  I also have an Ethernet adapter that I got for something else a while back, but I made sure to get a model that has been reported to work with the Chumby, but, again, I have no idea HOW to use it with the Chumby.

I am EXTREMELY frustrated here, because I not only don't know what in the world is going on, but I don't even know how in the world to figure out what in the world is going on.  I feel like I'm flailing around in the dark, when, with other computers / devices, I'd usually have at least some idea.

HELP!!!  PLEASE!!!  I don't want to start another day or another week so upset and headachy again!  (I'm a very deep sleeper, so it takes me a while to wake up properly, and I don't do well when that's short-circuited, like it was this morning when I was jarred awake with the default alarm again, and, once I was cognizant of what had happened again, my aggravation further jolted me up, and now it's probably going to affect the rest of my day.  This happened a few times last week, too, and I'm sick of it, but I have no idea what to do about it.)

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Re: Wifi conenction being dropped a LOT lately

I had a problem rather like this, and it turned out to be a fault with my router. It showed up first on one of my two Chumby Classics, which just wouldn't reconnect in the same way as the other one did.
The router fault was intermittent, so most devices worked almost all of the time, especially since most devices will successfully reconnect after dropping a connection. It eventually got sufficiently worse so as to make the problem plain - my computer would only connect to a site if I typed the site's numerical IP address.
I don't know if the router is your problem, but it may be something to consider. My experience shows that router problems can be not exactly obvious at the start, and that they may show up on Chumby first, while other devices seem OK.

Interesting - I'm using an ethernet connection on a chumby classic and it also drops out every day. I have to re-boot it to get it to reconnect and sure enough the next morning it uses the default alarm again. As soon as I reboot it works properly.

I thought it might be a DHCP issue - nope - using a static IP didn't help.

I was using a chumby one which I never had a problem with and only started using the classic again when the chumby 1 died. I haven't tried a wifi connection as I don't have real good wireless in the bedroom.

Another user here with a Chumby Classic using wired ethernet that drops its connection almost once a day and requires a reboot to get it back.

I have my Chumby at work and a few months ago set an alarm to switch it to "night" mode at 17:30. The problem began around the same time, but it could simply be a coincidence. Removing the alarm has not fixed the problem.

I can tolerate the daily reboot, but it's a little annoying. In case it makes any difference I'm using an Apple USB=>Ethernet adaptor, of the type they sell for use with the MacBook Air.

Just thought I'd add another data point.

Can you try changing the channel on your wireless router? It has helped at least one other user in the past.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

I have two Classics and a Chumby One, all on wired ethernet. The One used to drop its connection often, which was a problem because it is my bedroom alarm clock. I swapped its Belkin adaptor for the Netcomm adaptor that one of the Classics was using, and everything seems to be fine now.
I don't know why this should be so.
Possible reasons may be:
1) it was actually the connection between the adaptor and the lead in the bedroom that was bad. Swapping adaptors just resulted in the replacement adaptor being more firmly pushed into place;
2) the Classic that is now using the ex-bedroom Belkin adaptor is actually dropping its connection just as much as the One did, but because of the location of this Chumby I just don't notice it;
3) there is some aspect of the Netcomm adaptor that makes it either all round better, or better adapted to work with the One, or better adapted to work with the VPN router that the One (but not the Classic) is connected to...
Just to be clear, none of the ethernet adaptors appears to be faulty - I haven't replaced any, just swapped them around.

7 (edited by gsker 2012-11-22 09:58:32)

TL;DR:   DNS for chumby.com needs some work.

I've got three chumbys -- two classic and one Chumby one.  I was talking about issues this morning with one of them, and heard from the other chumby lover in the house that the C1 was also not connecting.

Diagnosis reveals something weird. 

wget http://chumby.com

on my desktop machine works fine but running that same command at the chumby command prompt (via ssh) fails. It just sits there.

Here's where it gets weird. I would suspect the wireless router (since it's a different one from the router the desktop is plugged into, BUT....

wget http://google.com

works just fine! I can find no other site that fails.

Why would my chumby refuse to do an HTTP request to chumby.com?
I just figured it out while I was typing this!  The DNS entries for chumby.com need to be cleaned up!!!

Chumby:

chumby:/tmp# wget http://www.chumby.com        
--11:16:00--  http://www.chumby.com/
           => `index.html.5'
Resolving www.chumby.com... 23.21.198.124, 50.19.99.60, 50.16.249.195, ...
Connecting to www.chumby.com|23.21.198.124|:80... 
chumby:/tmp# 

Desktop:

gsker@veeta:/tmp> wget http://www.chumby.com
--2012-11-22 11:03:01--  http://www.chumby.com/
Resolving www.chumby.com (www.chumby.com)... 50.19.99.60, 184.73.221.172, 23.21.198.124, ...
Connecting to www.chumby.com (www.chumby.com)|50.19.99.60|:80... connected.

(success)

And lastly, at the chumby using the IP rather than the name:

chumby:/tmp# wget http://50.19.99.60   
--11:18:40--  http://50.19.99.60/
           => `index.html.5'
Connecting to 50.19.99.60:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 9,318 (9.1K) [text/html]

100%[=================================================================>] 9,318         --.--K/s             

11:18:40 (103.38 KB/s) - `index.html.5' saved [9318/9318]

Forcing it to 50.19.99.60 as a static DNS entry on the router didn't work, though. :-(  The control panel never loads.  Oh help....

We host our DNS at easyDNS.  The servers themselves are hosted at Amazon.

I'll see if we can have someone look into it.

9 (edited by carldc 2012-11-22 15:01:34)

Not sure if this is related, but my Chumby One is not getting online. It's connecting to WiFi, but I'm not getting any widgets or internet radio. Reboot gets to "Authorizinng", then I get "Sorry, there was a problem connecting to the network." Worked fine this morning.

Edit: Internet radio (at least "My Streams") is working. Still no widgets. Won't "Authorize".

Yep, something's wrong.  There seem to be intermittent connection problems to the servers.  I'm seeing it too - it's not happening consistently, though.

Unfortunately, we can't do anything before tomorrow, due to the holiday.

OK, good, it's not on my end -- I have two Chumby Classics & one Chumby One.  My original Classic is still fine (and I'm not about to touch that one, for fear I won't be able to reconnect), my second Classic connects to the wifi network but can't seem to authorize or connect to Chumby, despite several attempts & power cycles, so that one's just showing the system clock right now, and the One can't even download the control panel, so I'm just leaving that off for the time being.

Duane wrote:

Yep, something's wrong.  There seem to be intermittent connection problems to the servers.  I'm seeing it too - it's not happening consistently, though.

Unfortunately, we can't do anything before tomorrow, due to the holiday.

Duane,
Thanks for your response. And here's hoping there's an easy resolution tomorrow.

Happy Turkey Day!

Didn't mean to interrupt your Thanksgiving. I hope you are able to enjoy lots of well-deserved food!

Well glad to know it's not just me. My Chumby One has been acting freaky all day: sometimes connected, sometimes not; sometimes it says it's not authorized (even though it is); able to connect to Wi-Fi but not the Chumby servers.

I appreciate your response on a holiday, Duane.

Thanks for the reply. Having the same problem. Now it's telling me to activate my Chumby One like it's a new device.

Now both of my Classics are fine, but the One still can't download the control panel.

I, too, have been seeing the Chumby (Classic) lose the connection frequently, like almost every day. Re-booting it usually works. Hope you can fix the problem soon.

We've isolated the problem to a load balancer at Amazon AWS.  For any given DNS fetch we get four IPs in random order - one of the four is bad.  It basically means that you have a one-in-four probability of getting a bad IP for a chumby.com domain.

Unfortunately, that means that we can't fix this directly - we'll have to open up a ticket with Amazon.

All of mine seem to be back now.

Thanks for getting this fixed, Duane. It's working good for my chumbys now.

Thanks very, very much Duane for all of your work to track down the problem and resolve it, especially over a holiday weekend. Your dedication is truly inspiring.