Topic: My collection... is complete!

I now officially own one of every Chumby standalone device (not counting Sony's b****rd child)!

I found the Chumby via woot, but missed out on snagging them by a few minutes.  After doing some digging, I found the Infocast was more or less the same thing, and was much more available (courtesy eBay).  So I started with a pair of Infocast 8's, destined to be internet-connected picture frames for my family across the country.  Then I wanted one to "tinker" with, and picked up a third.

Of course, this was just too intriguing, so I had to grab the little sibling, and got a pair of Infocast 3.5's.

The Infocasts were very exciting to play with, and I wanted more, but I was curious about the genuine Chumby brand devices... what was different, what was the same.  Finally I spotted a Chumby One on eBay and snapped it up.

After a few months of watching wooters try to bilk eBayers (mysteriously, Chumby 8's started showing up on eBay for ~$120, within a week or so of having been sold on woot for $90), I saw a Chumby 8 pop up for a more reasonable price, and promptly snagged it.

Finally, after weeks and weeks of checking eBay... a Chumby Classic came across my screen.  I jumped on it (figuratively!), and it just arrived in the mail today.  With the addition of the Chumby Classic to my family, I now have one of every Chumby standalone device!

My current family is as follows:
3x Infocast 8
2x Infocast 3.5
1x Chumby 8
1x Chumby One
1x Chumby Classic

Re: My collection... is complete!

Very nice. You might want to get some spare power supplies as they are known to go bad. To be totally complete you really need a Dash, a Wowee and a smart TV with Chumby software. Just wanted to give you a challenge.  ;-)

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

Well as I said, I'm not counting Sony's b****rd child, so I have no intention of wasting my money on a Dash tongue

A Smart TV isn't a standalone device, which is why I specified "standalone devices" wink

I'm actually chasing down the Wowboxes, but I'm not entirely sure they ever actually existed o_O

Wow, I think you and I are a lot alike... I own:

2x Chumby Prototype
2x Chumby Classic (both were black, now one is just "parts"... I still have the guts in my office at work)
2x Chumby One
3x Infocast 3.5"
and I recently purchased
2x Infocast 8"

I still don't have a Chumby 8.  Care to list major differences between it and the I8?  Should I complete my collection too, or let that one go?

I try to keep my ear to the ground on eBay and I think the 3.5" infocasts have been about $25-30 each shipped, the I8's were refurbs from the recently posted link around $55 shipped so my overall hardware costs have been (relatively) low.  I really like the 8" and may see about getting a couple more as gifts like your original intention!

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

I dunno, I almost like the body style of the Infocast 8 better, but the C8 feels better-made to me.  I haven't cracked open my C8 yet (have barely even turned it on), so I haven't been able to do an in-depth comparison of the two.

@Doktor Jones- You're really coming up with some good topics lately! Congrats on completing your collection. Thanks for telling us about it, Materdaddy too.

I hope some other folks post their holdings!

I thought I was nuts wanting to buy a 3.5 Infocast while they're still around, but I guess I'm really not crazy. I only have 3 Chumbys, but one just lost the power supply. Seems like other than that, these little machines might just last a *long* time. (Seems like we're a loyal group, like the BeOS or Amiga people.) I use all my Chumbys, but now I feel I should "conserve" one, in the face of you serious collectors! Man, I'd love to have a classic. I was drooling over one on ebay, too, but have never been an ebay user.

I'm assuming you two collectors don't use all your Chumbys. Just curious, which is your subjective "favorite" of the devices?

Well, you're right.  I don't use all of mine.  I've had intentions and plans for all of them, just never the time.  I've recently dedicated more time due to the news.

I think my favorite is likely the Infocast 3.5" for a few reasons:
* RW rootfs - Much easier to hack than the classic based on the rootfs/microSD for the rootfs and an ext2 format
* Bunnie's "mod port" (thanks Bunnie!)
* Construction - when you disassemble it, you can likely toss the grey part and mount the black screen bezel easier into projects.  I'm not a big fab person, so I like the thought that I can put it in a wall, or cut a hole in a dash.
* Cheap!  I've purchased 4 now, and the last was cheap enough I gave it away to a friend

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

I like the I8's because they're nice for photo frame type stuff and other "at-a-glance" uses where the 3.5" screen might be a bit too small... with the new webkit-on-chumby thing posted elsewhere around here, my Copious Free Time™ will surely be dedicated to tinkering with this.  Two of my I8's are earmarked for family, the third I will likely keep for development purposes. The C8 will most likely end up being my "display" model that actually shows useful stuff.

I have the I3.5's and C1 at work, and plan to use them for quick "heads-up" info notice type things... plan on spinning up a small linux VM that will aggregate and feed information to them so I can peek over and see what sort of deployments are going out and the like.  The C1 I intend to keep at my desk, one I3.5 will be "indefinitely loaned" to my coworker, and the second will be my "dev box".

The Chumby Classic is mostly just for keepsake purposes, as its homebrew development seems a bit more stunted... but maybe once I get some time to play with it more, I'll find a good use for it.

Prior to my pending dev work though, the only one seeing any regular usage is the C1, displaying ICanHasCheezburger and a custom RSS feed.

Thanks for your comparisons above- pretty valuable info. If you don't mind, I have another specific question comparing the 3.5's. I use my Chumbys for radio a lot. I think the sound on the C1 is great for such a small device, but I've heard that's partly because of the way bunnie designed the case.

I've never had an Infocast. Is the sound on the Infocast 3.5 comparable to the sound on the C1? As I said above, the $40 "new" ones on Amazon tempt me. If the Infocast gave me pleasant audio, I could stash away my newest C1 to save for if/when a unit breaks down.

@Doktor Jones- Like your I8, I enjoy my C8 for the low-tech "picture frame" show once in a while. Does the I8 have a clock overlay for slide shows? The C1 has a clock and/or calendar overlay that looks great, but you virtually have to kick it to get time showing. I downloaded dozens of public-domain space pictures from NASA just for this, they make a beautiful background for the clock.

I only have a small apartment, but I "need" my 3 Chumbys in their assigned spots. One of mine was out of action for a while, just "rescued" by a generous tech guy. I felt "off balance" while that one was out. I guess I'm pretty spoiled by them all.

Iv had
1x Chumby Classic (parts only, replaced LCD once and have parts from another Classic)
2x Chumby Ones (3.5 in white plastic case)
2x Chumby 8s..
1x Sony Dash (like some of the premium channels but VERY slow boot,also like the LCD they used (capacitive)

Didnt get any Infocasts 3.5 (tried to but missed the oppurtunity)
Or the Infocast 8... (saw one in store, just didnt like the build quality on it, but wonder if it was because it was a demo)

Would like one of the second generation Dash's in orange with the battery pack...

11 (edited by bobsz 2012-06-07 17:03:46)

Well, I blew my chance to add a 'new' I 3.5 for $38 from Amazon. Today all the sellers there raised them by $10 to $48+.  Weird, I wonder if that means demand is increasing? Well, I guess I should be really grateful for what I've already got!

joltdude wrote:

Or the Infocast 8... (saw one in store, just didnt like the build quality on it, but wonder if it was because it was a demo)

Yeah, the Infocast cases are a little flimsier-feeling, I don't know if they use a different plastic or just a thinner plastic.  My "dev box" seems to be holding up to abuse pretty well though as I gut it and play musical SD cards -- and the bits wind up scattered across my desk, falling on the floor, etc.

13 (edited by jphphotography 2012-06-07 19:52:56)

Yeah I don't know what's up with the Amazon prices, I first found out about Chumbies and Infocasts when Engadget and those sites started talking about the companies demise (early April???) and new infocasts were listed at 19.99 and used were 17.99. Only one place would ship to Canada and that was the used ones so I tried to order 2, then they apparently failed testing when the guy was about to ship. Long story short I tried to get him to still sell them to me (for a lower price) because I was confident I could fix them. Got a shipping notification that 2 infocasts were in the mail, a week later only 1 arrives. The seller never really told me what happened but he refunded half my money. Wound up buying another on ebay for $34.99 +$5 shipping so I figure I managed to get two for $65 total which isn't bad. Ok maybe that wasn't long story short smile

I'd still like to find an infocast 8" though. I don't know if these were ever sold in Canada so the odds of finding one on Craigslist of Kijiji probably aren't good and any ebay ones will invariably get snapped up by fellow "chums" on this forum smile May the quickest bidders win lol.

What's interesting is that there aren't supposed to be such a things as "new" Infocasts.  I have to wonder where these sellers are getting them from.

My guess is that the Chinese manufacturer is gray marketing some leftover inventory after Insignia stopped selling the product in the stores.

If so, that means that Chumby is not getting license fees for them - fees I could certainly use to keep the systems up.

15 (edited by bobsz 2012-06-07 21:30:16)

@Duane- I thought about that. That's why I always put "new" in quotes. I was guessing they were just refurbs, but maybe they just threw new cases on all those "WoWboxes" that were supposedly coming! There were about 10 sellers on Amazon with "new" Infocasts.

I saw something worse when I was looking for power supplies a couple of weeks ago. A lot of sellers/storefronts were using the Chumby name- "Chumby compatible" power supplies, even though one listed the output as 12v. One power supply had "Chumby" printed on it in the questionable picture. Worst was that this shop actually displayed the Chumby octy logo and "Chumby Industries", as well as a picture of the burlap bag the Original Chumby came in. I was going to post about it, but didn't want to give any free publicity to these guys by including their names or links. I'll send you the link to that outrageous power supply storefront if you want it. (They also say they sell Chumbys.)

Sorry I got this thread sidetracked! Hope we can hear more about peoples' Chumby collections!

The Chumby Classic does use a 12V power supply.

Maybe we can finance the servers with trademark infringement settlements!

Oracle has a bunch of lawyers that aren't doing anything at the moment...

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:

Oracle has a bunch of lawyers that aren't doing anything at the moment...

I think they're tied up going after Lodsys now.

Awesome! The best part about Lodsys and Oracle going at each other is at least one of them has to lose.  I have had a grudge against Oracle since they bought Sun and started dismantling Sun's open source projects. Lodsys is just a leech. Of course the only real winner is the lawyers.