Topic: C8 losing wi-fi

For the past 3 days, my c8 has been losing it's network connection about twice a day. It's literally only 2 feet from the router, so always shows 100% signal. Usually I can just press to reconnect and it does. But tonight it wouldn't let me set up any connection. But then I rebooted, and all was back working fine. I know there's usually no answer to these connection problems. I just thought I'd check if there was some quirk in the c8 that might cause this. Hopefully, it'll just resolve itself. Thanks.

Re: C8 losing wi-fi

Did you reboot the router too?

Linux Guy - Occasional Chumby Hacker

I've had things like this happen with various wifi devices (not my infocast though) if I was actually too close to the router. The input section of the wifi card can get overloaded and start to cause issues. From a cold state it might work fine until it heats up and then once hot may start to exhibit problems.

Not sure if this is what you're experiencing but I thought I'd mention it.

One other thing that I've had cause issues was if I had my router set so that it did not broadcast the SSID, my laptop would lose connection then re-establish about once per minute. Again just throwing this out there.

Aside from the C8 has any changes occurred to your home network/router setup? Any new wireless devices nearby or a new cordless phone? On the C8 have you installed any new widgets during this timeframe or been playing around with customer firmware's etc?

I troubleshoot for a living so these are questions I'd be asking myself if I was in the same situation, hopefully something I mentioned is useful.

Good ideas. I just moved the Chumby, and now will re-boot the router. No, I haven't changed anything else lately. Since it's only the C8 acting up, it's probably one of those first two points. I appreciate your answers since I was freaking out that this might be a known C8 flaw. I just 'lost' a C1 power supply a few days ago, so it would be a bummer if it's the device. Thanks.