Topic: Internet Privacy

I'm wondering how much other people are concerned about internet privacy. I'm fairly worried about this issue. It seems like most people aren't too concerned, think the tracking's beneficial, or think the battle's over and lost. I guess kids growing up with Smartphones wouldn't even understand what "privacy" I'm talking about.

The only way I see how extensive this stuff is, is with the Firefox add-on Ghostery. There are so many trackers, and they're way more specific than cookies used to be. Of course, Google's the biggest data bank, and their basic motivation is to sell us stuff. I don't consider that a threat, but what about that data bank getting hacked into? And what if Google decides "Don't be evil" is outdated?

Actually, this is one of the reasons I like my Chumby above any Google OS, phone or otherwise. My Chumby just doesn't need to know a lot about me.

I don't want to rant, I'm just curious if others here are concerned about this stuff, or if it's just a hangover from my hippie days.

Re: Internet Privacy

I don't know how many of us there are out here who are worried about privacy, but privacy is a big concern for me. Ghostery is on all of my computers. In case you haven't done so already, check out  No Script. It is a bit of a pain in the _ _ _ to use but it is a good tool. There is also a Tor plugin for Firefox. Of course Facebook, Google+, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. are all out of the question. It is a bit of a shame as it would be nice to use to keep up with family out of town but the trade-off is just not worth it to me. I never connect to the internet with a Windows machine either. It is too easy to slip in something that isn't picked up by anti-virus / anti-malware scanners.

Actually there really isn't any privacy anymore. The government scans every bit of electronic communication outside AND inside the USA. You want privacy? Write a letter by hand!

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

If most people are concerned about internet privacy then why do most people frequent Facebook?

Owner of 3 Sony Dash, 2 Info 8.

Don't feed the banned troll smile