Topic: How is Chumby Corporation going to help us?

I would like to know how the Chumby Corporation is going to help us. It wold be nice if Chumby released a software update or package that would enable use of the devices after chumby.com is down. I personally have invested in 3 of the devices and feel that I have been let down by Chumby. We need a Chumby sponsored and provided solution, not a user hack.

Re: How is Chumby Corporation going to help us?

If the staff of Chumby has been let go as has been written elsewhere, who will write and release the software you desire?

The "user hack" as you call it is the best method of extending the life of our Chumbies. Zurk has worked on this "hack" at no cost to any of us. I would be a little more charitable in your discription of all the work he has put into his post-Chumby industries software.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

I am not disrespecting the user who made the hack. But I have spent over 400 dollars on my multiple chumby devices and I believe that Chumby should be the one to provide the fix.

I am UNIX system admin and I can do all of the SSH enablement and other hacks to make this work. But it is ridiculous to spend my time doing this when I have paid for these devices, Chumby should have provided the upgrade to use the Chumby devices offline. I can't I am the only person upset about being abandoned by Chumby with no fix provided by Chumby corporation. Chumby knew they were shutting down and could have provided this service as a thank you for supporting Chumby for all these years.

We are all upset (especially the now unemployed Chumby staff). I have come to rely on my Chumbies and now they are going to be less capable (but not dead thanks to Zurk). Chumby was always a very small company. They simply did not have the resources to provide the service you suggest. While Chumby was very small, think of all the major companies that have abandoned hardware leaving customers with useless junk. Microsoft and Sony come immediately to mind. At least the Chumby devices are open so they can continue on.

Yep, I'm w/ Bolo ..

It sucks, it does.. but alot of companies (such as ones he mentioned) have left people high and dry w/ worthless gear.   Chumby's open design concepts/ideals employed from the start have left us with devices that we can keep running on our own.

It's been on my list to dig more into the guts of Chumby for a while.. so I guess now I have more of a push...

(heck using it to push a reverse-ssh connection from a private/cut off network in my lap -> another server, pushing a PPP connection over that then masq'ing it out from there... so I can use remote horsepower to do some vuln tests/fuzzing... all through a little chumby... sniff.. i lubs it..)

dave

overklok,

Did you read this post and the article it links to? It will give you some perspective.

http://forum.chumby.com/viewtopic.php?id=8109