Topic: Purchased a preowned C8....

After my C1 bricked, I bought a C8 from ebay.  How do I get it to activate as new?  I did a factory reset, but it still shows the previous owner's info and locations, etc.  I want to reset it as NEW.   Any clues?

Re: Purchased a preowned C8....

you need to contact support@chumby to deactivate it and then reactivate on your account.  duane can also do this for you i think.
alternatively the offline firmware will allow you to run it with your own widgets if you edit the profile files, regardless of whether it is activated to someone else or not.

Think I'll have any response to that mailbox?  I got none when I tried to address issues with my now bricked C1.   What do I need, the serial #?

On the "Chumby Info" screen (might be a bit different for C8, I'm looking at my C1 right now) there's a whole block of info, including id, HW, SW, FW, HW#.  If you provide all that, they should be able to deactivate it no problem.

5 (edited by SShayler 2012-03-15 15:58:21)

Does this help?

(REDACTED URL)

I've sent the info to Duane and removed the image from your post.  I'm not 100% sure why he redacts the deactivation requests after he processes them, but I'd guess it has to do with ensuring others don't copy your Chumby's information and then maliciously (or just ignorantly) submit another deactivation request for it later.  Don't know if any further damage could be caused beyond this, but I figure it's best to be on the safe side smile

Thanks. I wasn't sure about posting the image, but it's all good.  :-)

Thanks to Duane!  I'm deactivated/activated.  Thanks again!

Did you ever try the "Deactivate this device" button on the C8 special options screen?
You get to the special options screen by pressing on the screen as the chumby starts, keep pressing until the "special options" screen is shown, run through the touchscreen calibration, then you are shown four buttons:
1)restart device, 2)install updates, 3)restore factory settings, and 4)Deactivate this device.