1 (edited by Deb 2012-02-26 07:06:26)

Topic: RIP my Chumby One

My C1 is 19 months old and has just died. It started emanating a high-pitched buzzing noise, rather like when a light bulb is about to blow, so I unplugged it and left it alone for a few days.
I've now plugged it back in but there is no response whatsoever. I can fiddle about with a computer but would have no idea where to start with this problem.

Any ideas, anyone? Or shall I just start the mourning process?  sad

Re: RIP my Chumby One

I wonder if that would be the backlight on the LCD panel?  After plugging in your Chumby, can you hold it up to a really bright light and see if you can see anything on the screen?  An unlit LCD can still be seen (barely) under very bright light.

Also, do you know whether it was the Chumby itself or the power supply making that noise?  Switching power supplies (which is what Chumbies use) can make that noise, and are also capable of failing like that.  If that were the case, it shouldn't be TOO difficult to get a replacement (though it'll probably have to be a third-party replacement).

Thank you for your reply and sorry I didn't get back before now.
No, there is nothing on the screen in bright light. The plug on the power cable doesn't get warm when plugged in so maybe that is the problem area? Or it could be a combination of both items giving up the ghost. Who knows? I will take a look around and try to find a similar power cable to test it...... hopefully.

The lucky thing is that I have acquired a Sony Tablet S which comes with the Chumby app pre-installed, so I can still see my chosen channels big_smile

Do you have any way of testing voltage at the power supply connector?  Even if you just have an LED (which may get sacrificed to this test -- be warned!) it will be enough to tell you whether the power supply is working.

I wish shipping were cheaper, I'd just have people ship their problematic stuff to me and I'd test (and fix if possible) it tongue