Topic: Mount WHS Network Share?

I haven't really seen anything to firmly confirm or deny this(posts are either years old and/or speaking about linux servers).  I have a windows home server that I keep all my music on and I would like to know with the chumby 8 if you can mount a directory and stream music from it?

Re: Mount WHS Network Share?

I'll that that as a no.

I can try looking into this... I'm not sure if the Chumby has Samba built in or if you'd have to compile/install it yourself (Samba would be required to mount Windows shares).  Once you have the mounting set up, you could probably create a symlink to the mount somewhere where the chumby can see it (might require use of a USB stick), and then it would play the music just as if it were stored on the device (or stick) itself -- bandwidth permitting, of course wink

Thank you.

I haven't forgotten about this, just had a lot going on the past few weeks (most recently finally got books 4 & 5 of Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones series and got sucked into them >_<)... I should have some free time Thursday night though and plan on doing some Chumby tinkering then, so I'll take a look at it then.

Well this is proving to be a pain... i can ./configure Samba, but it keeps crapping out at various points in the compile.  Will try to beat on this more tonight.

... and all that hard work was seemingly pointless (but not without a happy ending!)

The latest Infocast 8 firmware does seem to include CIFS support (and I presume this applies to Chumby 8 as well), so the Chumby can natively access your Windows shares.  It looks like someone has also made a Chumby app for that, which you can find here -- he's posted full instructions on how to use it here.

For those looking to mount Windows shares for other purposes (hacking scripts, etc), the commands you're looking for are:

mkdir /mnt/winshare
mount -t cifs //ww.xx.yy.zz/myshare /mnt/winshare -o username='myuser',password='mypass'

1. Replace /mnt/winshare with whatever Chumby-local path you choose (generally though it's a good idea to keep it under /mnt)
2. Replace ww.xx.yy.zz with your Windows box's IP address (not hostname, or you'll likely just get a "bad address" error) and myshare with the share name.
3. Replace myuser and mypass with an appropriate name and password for the Windows box you're accessing
3a. If you need to specify the domain for the username, use the format myuser@mydomain