Topic: Today's Sort Of Senseless Exercise

I just wanted to let you know that my Chumby, now, through a Slimserver 7 set up and Ubuntu server, can play satellite radio. smile It was kind of a silly thing to try, but I am aggravated that Sirius is such a bear to get running with 'nix... It was surprisingly easy with Slimserver and Chumby.

I used the Slimserver Sirius Radio plugin (also available as an XM variety), after installing an updated version of Slimserver (much nicer interface, if initially puzzling.) With the plugin activated and my Sirius user account info in Slimserver, I then made sure (beating my head against the wall) that I had the w32codecs from the non-free Ubuntu repos. I used the same btplay http://xxx.xxx.xx.xx:9000/stream.mp3 script, and restarted my server, restarted my chumby, and I was golden.  Mplayer does all the converting the wma stream into a format chumby can spit out.

I was a little proud of myself over that one. I'm a weenie. Just wanted to get the word out that there are more subscription services out there, through the magic of plugins, that do fly. smile

shoe

Re: Today's Sort Of Senseless Exercise

Whoa, that is too cool!  I didn't know that's what you were trying to do.  I have Sirius, and was wondering over the weekend if it would be possible to stream it to the Chumby (or to any other networked device, for that matter).

I'll have to give that a shot when I'm back in town (I'm on the road & the wife is babysitting the Chumby).  I may be asking you a few questions... big_smile

Chumby birthdate: 10/11/07

Re: Today's Sort Of Senseless Exercise

Put a how to on my blog (click on the website over there <---) It was pretty easy, once the appropriate decoders were in.