Topic: Problems with Chumby - Email & Google News scroll doesn't work!

I have a few problems with the Chumby:

1. On the google rss feed I cannot read the full story... clicking doesn't do anything
2. On the EMAIL widget, I do not have a way to read the email.. it just shows the title.

What's wrong!!!!!!!????????

Re: Problems with Chumby - Email & Google News scroll doesn't work!

In the current email widget, all we show is the subject line - we're working on adding the ability to read the entire message.

In tha case of the RSS widgets, we show you all of the info we have from the data feed.  Since the chumby does not have a full web browser at the moment, you cannot read the full story.

The chumby is not a full desktop computer - its job is to show you the highlights of the web.

well if I see an interseting article, wouldn't the point be to be able to read it? It seems not useful if I can't read the article there? I thought that was the point? 

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect to be able to type in URLs and go all over the internet... but I'd think it would at least be able to do what my treo phone can do, and show me a full article or something?

is it planned at all?

if I'm laying in bed watching the rss feed of digg, google, popular science, or whatever... and an interesting topic pops up I should be able to read it without having to get out of bed and go look for it on my computer.  otherwise, what's the point?  and if you're phone can view scale down version of the web, shouldn't the chumby be able to?

I don't want to browse the net -- but I'd like to be able to view a full article, or full email message.

there's no value in seeing a scrolling snap shot of article if you can't actually read them.

Even if it were available, I wouldn't bother trying to read a full news story or a long email on a 320x240 screen with limited controls.  Snippets of info & pretty pictures are what the Chumby excels at.

The CSTV widget includes synopses (possibly just the first couple paragraphs?) of a story, and just trying to scroll down to read all of that is a bit of a pain.  If I'm that interested in reading a full article, I'll look it up on my Treo, or get up & go to the computer.  Or just wait 'til the morning big_smile

Chumby birthdate: 10/11/07

Duane wrote:

The chumby is not a full desktop computer - its job is to show you the highlights of the web.

I see one use of the chumby as being an adjunct to my computer.  It would be kind of cool if saw something interesting on the chumby, you could whack it and it would cause an expanded story show up on your laptop.

Just a thought.

7 (edited by jwilkins 2007-10-26 15:07:03)

The History channel widget shows the full article.  The wikepedia widget shows the full thing to.
I'm not asking for anything more than these deliver.

Your typical news clipping isn't too much for a 320x240 screen.
Hell - that's bigger than your TREO screen.

Those widgets show the full article because that's what those sources put in their RSS feeds.  The others simply give us a brief summary and a link to a full HTML web page, which we can't render.

It's not under our control - if you want more information, you need to lobby the source of the feed to include it.

Google,  watch out!