Topic: Infocast discontinued?

I really hope this isn't true, but I've had three separate BestBuy employees now tell me that the Infocast is discontinued and they're doing a clearance on all remaining stock (even selling the displays as open box items). You can't order it for shipping on their website anymore either (at least the 8" model). I was told this by a BestBuy for Business sales rep, a store manager, and a sales clerk. When I ask for more details, I was told it might be replaced with a newer model, but their systems didn't indicate what or when that would be. If it really is discontinued, I hope the Chumby 8" gets released soon to fill the void!

Re: Infocast discontinued?

I wouldn't worry. I would rather have the Chumby 8". Once it is available I will probably have a 8" infocast available for sale.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

What are the main differences between Chumby 8" and the Infocast 8" ?  Will it be as affordable?

The rep at BestBuy for Business told me that their cost on the product is $114.. So I doubt you'd find anything for under $100. I suspect the Chumby 8 will retail between $175 and $200, since the Chumby One goes for $125. Not nearly as good a deal as the current sale price on the Infocast.

But hopefully the 8" Chumby will have a backup battery and event timer.

Tar, feathers, congress. Some assembly required.

2/8 I was able to purchase both an open box 8" ($65) and the shelf display ($60) from the Best Buy in Cuyahoga Falls, OH.  Staff there and at another store confirmed that their computers showed them as discontinued.  The manager that did the pricing indicated that their cost was closer to $70 per unit, but obviously I was able to get them down below that.

Of course I curbed my enthusiasm until after the prices were settled.  The guys asked me what I wanted these for when other picture frames had remotes, etc. for the same price.  Once I explained why I wanted it, the guy admitted to being a Linux junkie and was sad to see I was walking out with the last two units.  Oh well!

Now if only someone would port Honeycomb to this thing... :-D

So you got those!  (I'm in Akron and was looking for any left-over 8" too).

I have a 3.5" Infocast, but fear when Chumby updates their software it won't make it to the BestBuy discontinued product.

So the question is do I buy a Chumby One while it's on sale for guaranteed compatibility, or wait for the next gen product to come out.

Now you can get it at cowboom.com for $59.99, free shipping ($64.99 before 'fatwallet5' $5 off code)

Sold out now.  Good thing I bought it a few days ago.  Can't wait to play with it.  UPS says it is waiting at my door (or in my wife's hands)