Topic: files under /usr/widgets

I accidentally renamed one of swf files under /usr/widgets .  Because of this accident, my chumby won't start and I am not able to turn on the ssh through GUI. Thanks.

Re: files under /usr/widgets

Assuming this is a Katamari, you should be able to repair this using a USB flash drive.

Create a file called "debugchumby" using a text editor that generates UNIX-style line ending.

Put in that file something like:

#!/bin/sh
mv /usr/widgets/badfilename.swf /usr/widgets/goodfilename.swf

Obviously, you'll need to replace the file names as required.  Put this file on the flash drive.

When you boot the Katamari with the flash drive inserted, it should rename the file for you and work normally.

Let us know how it turns out.

3 (edited by claireliu 2007-10-01 18:10:06)

What are the names of those two files?  I searched online, one is called controlpanel.swf, what about the name of another file?I tried to create a debugchumby file using ultredit with following commands but failed to get the file names.
#!/bin/sh
ls /usr/widgets >> /mnt/usb/filename.txt

My chumby is the old model with only one USB slot on the back. The new one is on the way...

Unfortunately, I'm out of town at the moment (showing chumbys at Adobe MAX in Chicago) and don't have access to a Katamari, so I can't check for you.

However, try changing the ">>" to ">" in your script and see if that helps.

Still no luck, it seems like chumby didn't run the scripts at all.  There are three options 1.normal service 2 update 3 RFS during startup. I tried all three of them. If both wifi and USB connections do not work, I don't know what other way to save the device. sad

Here's another thing to try - follow the instructions http://www.chumby.com/releases/0-9 for doing a 0.9.1 software update from USB.

It appears the safe mode partition is still functioning, so it should be able to accept an update using this method, which should restore the main partition.

If this doesn't work, please contact Support directly.

Make absolutely sure you're doing the 0.9.1 update, not the 1.1 update, otherwise the chumby will be bricked permanently.  The 1.1 update is for "Ironforge" production chumbys only.

Anyone else reading this thread - do *not* do this on *your* chumby - these are specific instructions for a specific model of chumby.  These types of threads end up getting resurrected.

I reload software chumby_fw_128 and problem is solved. Thanks Duane.