Topic: Using the USB driver of Chumby...

Hi All,

I am trying to run USB host port of out device(i.MX21 Lite kit) using the USB driver of Chumby. I have plugged in a USB flash drive but there is no response from the kernel. Then I read in the forums that I need to keep it plugged it when it boots. I tried that too.

How do I access the USB flash drive?

Thanks for any help,
Midhun.

Re: Using the USB driver of Chumby...

Just plug it in.  It will be mounted automatically under /mnt/usb, /mnt/usb2,or /mnt/usb3  make sure to umount it before pulling it out; otherwise chumby mounts it differently the next time until you reboot.

Re: Using the USB driver of Chumby...

The original poster is not using a chumby - he's using a Freescale reference board called the "MX21LiteKit".  We used a similar board during our early prototype development.

Having the USB driver alone isn't enough - you also need the associated services that monitor the USB devices and perform the appropriate actions when they are attached and detached.  In many Linux systems, this is done by a system called "hotplug" - on the chumby, this is done by a tool called "mountmon".

In the case of USB mass storage devices, you need to determine what filesystem it's running, load the appropriate filesystem driver, create the mount point, and then mount the filesystem.  We do a little more than that - we also differentiate between certain types of mass storage devices.  For instance, an iPod mounts at a different mount point, and an additional iPod-specific daemon is launched.