Topic: OS

Since there is Linux running on the Chumby would I be able to put my own widgets and software like a movie streamer on the Chumby itself and not have it grab it off your site so that I can use it offline?  My plan is samba and pimp streamer with a custom flash widget that grabs the streams off of my server.  So I could have it do all the decoding on my server that can handle the load and then send it locally to the Chumby and in the future remotely to my Chumby so that I can watch movies on it.  How far off from reality is this?  I know they have pimp streamer working on PSPs and they aren't that far off and have way less wiggle room with the OS... LINUX vs sony.

Re: OS

Absolutely, as long as you can compile it for ARM and have the know-how to set it up (which I guess I should really write a better tutorial on how to do this). It's not very difficult once you've figured out the eccentricities of the tools (Scratchbox is an enormous help).

You should also know that Chumby already has NFS built in, so if that's an option for what you want to do, you may want to look into it. Remember also that Chumby isn't a very fast machine, and that video decoding is tough work (which is why the PSP and the like will often have accelerators to make it faster), so you may need to downconvert the video for playback. And IIRC, future Chumbies will support video out of the box.