Topic: getting SSH to work?

I'm having some issues getting the SSH server to operate on the chumby. I used UBUNTU linux to format the drive to VFAT, and then created the script just like the instrutions say. But, for some odd reason the SSH client is reporting that the server is down.

When I stick the usb key into the Chumby, do I just flip off the switch and flip it back on again? Or is there a way to do a soft reboot?

Re: getting SSH to work?

Yes, you need to reboot the chumby with the dongle in.

The other way to launch the SSH server is to go to the Control Panel, select "Settings", then the "Info" button.

Then tap the legs in the sequence 1,1,2,3,5 - you should get a little winking chumby icon.

The IP of the chumby is also displayed on the Info screen.

If you have updated chumby firmware, then you'll also see the chumby advertising the SSH server on the LAN with Bonjour/zeroconf.

How do I reboot the chumby?

Just filp the switch on the back.

And the easiest way to SSH it is doing the 11235 thing, then via command line (the code is in the wiki, just replace the 192.168.1.102 with the IP of your chumby.)

Is it possible that the 11235 trick doesn't work anymore with the latest models? My Chumby has HW 0.9.1, SW 0.9.2 and FW 128 and I can neither make SSH work with the dongle script nor start the server via the control panel.

I have the same thing, and it works. Are you hitting the tentacles dead on? Try a stylus or something.
Make sure you are on the Info page ;-)

This seems to fit under this topic:

I have the file on the thumbdrive, but it won't start up ssh unless I tap the legs. I don't mind, but is there something wrong?

The most common issue that people seem to have with the "debugchumby" method is that the line endings in the debugchumby file must be *UNIX* line endings ('\n').  That means, for instance, you can't use Notepad to create it, because then you'll end up with DOS line endings ('\r\n').  This is a limitation of the command shell in busybox, and is typical of UNIX.

If you don't have an editor that will do UNIX line endings, you can use the vi editor build into the chumby once you ssh into it using the 11235 easter egg.

If you get out of sequence with the 11235 method, you can hit leg 4 or 6 to reset the state machine.

I used gedit to create it in Ubuntu Linux, so I don't think thats the problem.

And is it possible to do SSH and use the mount command to re-mount a disk without re-booting? I just don't know the name of the drive. (fdisk0?)

Okaaaay - looks like my fingers were just too thick. The stylus did the trick! Thanks.

It took me a few attempts to get the Chumby blink at me, but it worked at the end.
Are the sensitive spots close to the Chumby's body ?

The hotspots are pretty much the visible portions of the legs.

However, since the legs are a little spindly, how the tap is being interpreted will depend upon how good a job you did calibrating the touchscreen.  It's possible it seems to work better closer to the body because the legs are wider there.

Try recalibrating the touchscreen (Settings->Touchscreen) - I often use the back of a fingernail or stylus to make sure it's as accurate as possible.