Topic: Chumby update unable to complete

I tried updating the chumby when it asked and it restarted then gave me the ( 0 a ) eyeballs. It looks as though it isn't able to connect to the network (I'm on a testy corporate network). I tried to do the update with the usb dongle but after it goes into the black and white chumby screen it then goes back to the error. After in teh error mode it tries to download the update but since it can't connect to the network it seems to be stuck. Ugh. Is there any way to get this working?

-Thnx

Re: Chumby update unable to complete

My suggestion is that you go the website and follow the link from the notice in the upper right corner. You can download the update and put it onto a USB thumbdrive and do it locally. The update may also help with your networking issues.

Right, I tried the update through the usb dongle but when I restart the chumby with my finger on the screen I get the "press the screen until the screen changes" screen but then it just goes to the error screen again with the text on the screen that it's trying to download the update. It never gives me the option to update from the dongle. The usb thumbdrive is formatted as fat16 so I would assume it shouldn't have a problem recognizing it.

OK, I've forwarded this thread to the engineer that can best help you.  If you like, you can also open a support ticket at http://www.chumby.com/corporate/service so the incident can be tracked.

Can you describe the "error screen" that you're referring to?  Are you saying that it is hanging on the ( 0 a ) screen?  The ( 0 a ) screen indicates that your chumby is booting into the Special Options mode.  If your network is configured incorrectly, chumby should eventually drop to the Special Options screen after a couple minutes.  If you don't want to wait, you can slide the core unit out of the housing, remove the wifi dongle and reboot.  Another option would be to temporarily turn off your wireless router.

Make sure that your USB flash drive is plugged into the rear USB port before powering on the device.  Once the Special Options mode appears, select "install updates", then "install from USB dongle".

There is a small chance that your USB flash drive is not supported.  We have noticed some compatibility issues with a few PNY Attache drives not being recognized by the Linux 2.4 USB subsystem.  If the drive is not recognized by chumby, when you click "install from USB dongle", chumby will flash a bit of text on the screen a simply reboot.  Should this occur, you will likely need to try a different USB flash drive.