Topic: shared connection from mac to chumby

I'm trying to find a way to get the chumby connected through my corporate network. I can't connect with just the chumby since as far as I know the corporate network can only be connected to with a username and password as opposed to a WEP key or any of the other options I've found. I was wondering if anyone has attempted to share a mac connection with their chumby and succeeded. If so how did you do this? I'm a little bit new to the mac so I've still a bit to learn but I've tried entering my ip address and gateway info but had no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: shared connection from mac to chumby

That's a good question - I'll give it a try.

I have a Powerbook G4 Titanium with the original 802.11g Airport card, and Ken has a new MacBook Pro with the Airport Extreme 802.11g card.

If we get it working, we'll post instructions.

Nice...I just got a Mac too.

The basic strategy is this:

1) Configure and connect your Mac to a wired network
2) Open the "System Preferences" utility
3) Select the "Sharing" panel under "Internet & Network"
4) Select the "Internet" tab
5) Select "Built-in Ethernet" from the  "Share your connection from:" popup
6) Select "Airport" from the "To computers using:" list
7) Hit the "Airport Options..." button
8) Set the "Network Name" to something rational
9) Set the "Channel" to "Automatic"
10) Set the encryption settings as desired - remember you'll be configuring the chumby using these settings
11) Hit "OK" to go back to the "Sharing" panel
12) Hit the "Start" button.
13) Close the "System Preferences" utility

On your chumby:

14) Open the Control Panel by squeezing the chumby
15) Select the "Settings" button
16) Select the "Network" button
17) Configure the network to match the above settings

Here's the caveat - if you're using a newer Macintosh, the Airport is very likely 802.11g-only, and the current firmware in the chumby can't handle that.  As of today (1/26/07), we're finalizing a firmware upgrade that should fix this problem.  We will be offering this update both as an over-the-air update, but for those of you with network problems, you will also be able to do it using a USB mass storage device.  Stay tuned on this forum for information about the update and how to apply it.

Great I'll give that a try when I get into work tommorrow, although I have the newer macbook pro so I think I may have the newer 802.11 g only airport.

One thing that's a little tricky: I think the only options for encryption using this method are "none", WEP-40/64, and WEP-128.

However, it wants you to supply the password in text - however, there's not such thing as WEP ASCII.  Each vendor implements the conversion of text to hex differently, including Apple.

So - in the password field, if you just enter some text, it uses Apple's proprietary conversion method.  However, if you enter the password in quotes, it uses the ASCII codes for the characters - for instance, the WEP-40/64 password "01234" would be 3031323334 in hex.  If you want to enter the password in hex directly, you precede the hex digits with a dollar sign ($).

yeah unfortunately it didn't work so I'm waiting for the network guy to set up the chumby to be allowed access someway tot he network here at work. Not sure how that's done since I'm not really into networking but hopefully that'll be done this week. You know how corporate offices take ages to get anything done. lol.

A lot of corporate networks have very complicated wifi authentication.  Once you get into the realm of WPA ("Wi-fi Protected Access"), things get messy.

The driver for the wifi dongle only supports WPA-PSK ("pre-shared key"), which is what you commonly find on wifi access points designed for home use.  It's possible that your company is using one of the more complex variations of WPA.

If so, you might have to try to convince your IT person to allow you to run another access point with a simpler authentication system, and filter by MAC address.  You can read the MAC address on the back of the dongle.

Yep, that's what we ended up doing. Thanks.

So, question to chumbians.  I can connect via sharing on mac at work but failed to connect with chumby.com
So I setup an wireless access point with the same results.

Is the chumby connecting on a weird port that my corp firewall is blocking?

I can ask for the port to be opened or find some other way to dev at work - thanks

The chumby is just connecting using HTTP on port 80.

12 (edited by radiorental 2007-03-08 07:52:41)

thanks - turned out to be an issue picking up a dhcp address. Now connecting from work on a wireless ap, couldnt get chumby-mac to work yet, will try later and report back here

Suggestions: say if the dhcp lease failed.  I think I read somewhere else there was a timeout issue.  Only getting a connection to chumy.com fail message.

Also, make the DNS entry optional.  If no dns address entered the system should take the router address.  Forcing secondary dns address entry is confusing, maybe add optional checkbox or say that the user can re-enter the same address as primary, which is what I did and it was the same address as the router.

btw, this is all edge case, the setup worked flawlessly on my more simple home network with dhcp

thanks for your help on the port.