Topic: Is there a way to create a Widget scheduler?

I would like my Chumby to display different widgets depending on day of the week, time of day.

For example, on weekday mornings, I want to see stocks, weather, news RSS feeds.  Then during the rest of the day, I just want photo streaming.

During the weekend, I only want to see weather, some news feeds, and photos.

Is there a way to do this?

Re: Is there a way to create a Widget scheduler?

Yes, using the improved alarm subsystem in the Beta Control Panel (see the Beta Software section of the forum).

OK, I've been using the beta, I'll give that a try.  Thanks.

What you want to do is look at the custom alarms, and use the "action" button to change channels.

I think you'd use three alarms - one on weekday mornings, one on weekday afternoons, and one on Saturday mornings.

Is there a description of how to set the alarms somewhere?  I tried to start this but was a little confused with all the settings.

Once an "alarm" triggers, I can't see how I can make it use a different channel for that entire time period.

6 (edited by huckfinn 2008-02-19 04:44:49)

oldskoolboarder,

Here is an example of how to set the alarms to just change channels.

When: Daily
Time: at 6:00 am
Audio: for :00, play "X"
Snooze: snoozing for :05
        ...and then..
Action: change channel to "Default"

Set: YES        Don't show alarm screen: YES

This alarm will switch to a the "default" channel without showing the alarm screen. The only trick is that you need to set the audio to something other than one of the three default sounds, otherwise you can not select "Don't show alarm screen". So the "X" above needs to be set to a shoutcast station, a chumby radio station, one of your streams, a file off the USB stick, etc. With the duration set to :00, nothing will actually play. I know this sounds strange, having to set the audio to a stream you do not want to hear - but that is how it works right now. Now if you want to change channels and have the chumby play music or a stream, pick the audio source you want and the duration and you will get both actions.

If you hit the action button you will see a list of possible actions, including all of your channels. Just pick what you want it to do and you should be all set. You will see that there are a few options here as well, go into/out of Night mode, etc. I am hoping they will add brightness control to this list as that would be very nice and a way to combine actions. PLEASE.

If you need any more help just ask...

-HuckFinn