Topic: Flash USB serial port Controle.

Is there a way in Flash actionscript to get and send data on the USB port?

Thanks
Shane

Re: Flash USB serial port Controle.

I am looking for this as well, let me know if you find anything

Perhaps the ASnative calls could be expanded to allow USB access to local movies only?

We have some experiments in house for this - not sure when they might hit product.

I'd be very interested in Chumby support for some kind of USB-Serial adapter.  I would love to develop widgets that can display RS232 information from my home automation system (like Caller ID).  Also, this may enable X10 power line control using a cheap interface like the "Firecracker" (http://www.x10.com/automation/firecracker.htm).

I must admit that the longer I own my Chumby, the more I yearn for it to do things a bit more useful that what the current set of known widgets provide.

I'm curious about this too but I have a thought on an angle. Is there a way to call a cgi-bin script on the chumby itself using something like a loadvariables() using http://localhost/cgi-bin/custom/foo to talk to a shell or perl script?

> I must admit that the longer I own my Chumby,
> the more I yearn for it to do things a bit more useful
> that what the current set of known widgets provide.

Emphatic +1. I really wish they'd ditch the current security model, where if the widget was loaded from the internet (i.e., from the Chumby network) it can't access any of the local hardware. For example it can't tune into shoutcasts and things like that.

I'd be very surprised if they allowed widgets access to the USB port for these reasons, but it'd be a huge step in the right direction if they did.

I have the same question as danberlyoung.

It could be possible to do some USB control with a chumbypipe or something like that? (not in a widget I know, but maybe in another main movie)

I am also interested in serial commuication.
I am looking for a device to control some rs232 gear, and the Chumby would be the perfect choice.
Anything new on this front?

I'm interested as well. Might be very useful for getting data from scientific and industrial equipment.

I've developed my first widget, which is an X10 Mini Controller.  It looks just like the 4-button controller, and it uses a USB-to-serial adapter and a serial-to-X10 interface from SmartHome.

It works fine standalone, but I'm still slogging through the problems to get it to run as a widget under the control panel.  Currently, I have to override the flash security by putting

PrivilegedCallExceptions 65535

in the /psp/flashplayer.cfg file.  I don't want to require this, so I'm trying to find another way around it.