Topic: GPS on chumby

Is this a real possibility? And how many people would be interested?

Ive read about quite a few different pieces of software than can do it on an ARM processor. If what i read is right, it should run almost natively on chumby. Only thing needed is a gps adaptor (software runs native, so i would assume the USB dongle would aswell) and a car adaptor (working on it, need a chumby first).

So who wants this? i know i do. ive been looking at a gps system for a while, chumby seems like a good idea.

need upload space for the forums or a chumby blog? right here then
http://www.nophus.com/useru
username is chumby
password is chumby

Re: GPS on chumby

Spark Fun Electronics has some GPS dev. kits with all of the hardware needed to make a GPS application, but the software to do course plotting, etc. would still have to be developed (and developed in Flash, nonetheless).

But if you feel so inclined, don't let us stop you. ChumbyTomTom was one of the first concepts I thought of for a portable Chumby, and I'm sure the kits would sell.

hey, if you wanna send a chumby my way, ill have a go big_smile

username is chumby
password is chumby

im thinking that chumby might need a web browser. cos you could (if you are within wi-fi range) use google maps to provide a hybrid image, that grabs the gps co-ordinates from the gps module, feeds them, and then shows your position on your map. it wouldnt be useful for driving directions (thats an advanced feature) but i reckon it wouldnt be too bad if you had the directions sort of onscreen next to the map. i cant navigate at all tongue but an aerial view of where i am, telling me what road i am on, would help immensely.

just a thought.

does chumby have rs232 anywhere? cos thats how most of those modules transmit data. thought it might be easier than trying to grab data via usb (cos itll prolly need a driver), whereas serial will just send the data straight down for the application to grab

username is chumby
password is chumby

Why would it need to have a browser just to show Google Maps?  They have a public API for fetchng the standard JPEG images that would work just as easily from Flash - indeed, there is a pure Flash implementation out there.  There's even a Flash Component to make it easy to add Google Map support to any Flash movie.

The chumby has a serial port on the main board, but it is not RS232, but TTL.  We use modified off-the-shelf USB serial ports to attach to the chumby for debugging.

Oh wow, I completely forgot about Google Maps, there's your interface! Now that would be a killer widget to have..

send me a chumby, and ill mash it up. im sure i could modify it to work with TTL.

username is chumby
password is chumby

You can use chips from the MAX3232 chip family, they're indispensible in projects working with RS232/TTL, I've probably gone through 100 of them in the past year or so (thank goodness they're cheaper by the dozen eh?).

they are for lowering the voltage or something.

if i had a chumby, id mash up a gps system.

username is chumby
password is chumby

they are for lowering the voltage or something.

They're for connecting TTL logic (like that of Chumby) to RS232 (serial port) and visa versa, which is what you'd need to connect Chumby's 3.3v TTL logic to the GPS unit's 5v (assuming the GPS uses 5v) or the 5v system of your system's 9-pin.

And then there was Duane's suggestion of using a USB->Serial connector.

Parallax (www.parallax.com) is coming out with a low-cost GPS receiver module in the next week or so that has TTL-level output and can either dump raw NMEA0183 strings @ 4800bps or provide a "menuing system" where you can send commands (like Get_Lat to retrieve the latitude). Might be a good module to interface with Chumby...

Joe

go on then, ship me a chumby, and ill get started

username is chumby
password is chumby

chedabob: you REALLY want a chumby don't you?

BTW, TTL serial is 5v levels, so if you can find a serial GPS that outputs standard NMEA-compliant GPS data at 5v levels then you are already halfway there!

--neg

hoping for a chumby release before xmas.
every chumby is squishy, except the ones that arent.

a go idea the gps on the chumby

I'm not totally sure I understand why one would want a GPS on a chumby.  It's not a portable device, so it's probably not going to move very much.

I suppose you could hook it up to your car, but then it's not really clear to me where you're going to be getting a wifi signal driving around.

Just about everybody who talks about modding the Chumby, talks about making it portable.  This really needs to be thought out a little bit.  One of the users here (name escapes my mind atm), is working on putting a battery system into the Chumby.  If he wasn't already working on the project, I probably would be.  I really really want to take my chumby with me, and I'm not alone. 

I understand that everyone and their sister has come out with a wireless phone/PDA and you are trying to make something different, but I think that the Chumby wants to come with me and hang out in my bag.  *shrug* but I don't have one yet, so I could be wrong.

i think it's possible.
i'd love GPS on chumby, you could do so much with it.

Even if you did have a portable battery, where are you getting the WiFi signal?

A lot of places have WiFi.  College campuses, cafes, restaurants, and hotels, for example.  Though I'm not terribly interested in its current form, I'd be very interested, and probably get a chumby if it were portable.  That would probably also increase the popularity in general.

As I mentioned in another thread, the necessary technology to make the device portable would push the price to around $400 - we don't think that price has legs.

If we thought we could make a portable chumby in the current price range, we would.

If you just want to know, down to the town level, you can probably do an IP lookup. I've seen AJAX sites that to it, so then it should be really easy to have flash take advantage of their pre-setup site.

Bluetooth based GPS receivers are getting to be very common.

The next round of advanced cell phones will have GPS chips as mandated by the FCC
I expcet before long many of those cellphones will be able to connect via bluetooth to other devices.

It would be nice for the Chumby to support a bluetooth GPS receiver when shipped, for the folks that think that feature would be worthwhile, but I tend to agree that building it in is probably going to have to wait future price relief.

23 (edited by quux 2007-06-19 23:14:57)

OK, I may not be serious here.

But I thought of a Chumby on my desk. And I realized that it's so cool, it might not stay on my desk very long (someone would steal it).

That's when I realized that a DeskChumby would want to have a GPS and 'phone my location home' capability ...

wink

They make those "portable wall outlets" for your car, you plug it into your ciggarate charger and it gets electricity from it.

mmm....chumby...