Topic: Chumby Simulator

Is there any emulator or simulator for the device that developers could use to get a head start on developing applications for the device, those of us who weren't so lucky to have received one, that is.

I could imagine just grabbing an ARM emulator and using whatever firmware you supply and starting from there, but any computer-side software or proprietary data might be sensitive to the company. I'm very interested in getting started.

Re: Chumby Simulator

awalton wrote:

Is there any emulator or simulator for the device that developers could use to get a head start on developing applications for the device, those of us who weren't so lucky to have received one, that is.

I could imagine just grabbing an ARM emulator and using whatever firmware you supply and starting from there, but any computer-side software or proprietary data might be sensitive to the company. I'm very interested in getting started.

We actually have a "virtual chumby" simulator that will reproduce the environment that widgets play within if you're interested in that level of development.  There's an early version on the website available to registered users, but it's not completely up to date.  One would not need a physical chumby to create and test widgets.

For lower-level stuff, an emulator would be a good idea.

The only thing that's proprietary in the device is the Flash Player itself.  All the other software is Open Source.

So.. do you have a link? wink The site looks down right now (from BoingBoing, Digg and Fark taking a stab at it), but when it comes back up I'd love to grab it..

Of course, this means I'm going to have to buy a copy of Flash... what one sacrifices to get in early on a cool device.

Yeah, the server is pretty toasted at the moment.  Sorry about that.

I'll be updating the "virtual chumby" this week.  I'll post something in the forum when it's done.

-- Duane

if theres any help needed with the virtual chumby.. I'm sure I could help. especially if you wanted it so people could upload their own chumby flash software then be able to preview it.. with other skins as well.
and the ability to test and see if the backlight was working *changing light sensativity via scroll bar*

Can't wait, still the real fluff ball would be best.

~Ryan~

~Ryan~

ill host for you guys. just gimme a shout. i got unlimited bandwidth, and my host say they got some "anti-ddos" thing so hopefully it wont get fried during heavy load

need upload space for the forums or a chumby blog? right here then
http://www.nophus.com/useru
username is chumby
password is chumby

Someone care to post the link?

This is a tar file I hope

I used to be an Oompa-Loompa

Yo Duane

Is this simulator up?
can you give me some specs on the environment it runs in (*nix or windows-world)?

Is the simulator open source as well?

any info is good info!

The new simulator is not yet up.  It's my top priority.

It's a Flash movie- it will run in Flash 7, so it should operate on Mac, Windows and Linux.

Thanks!

Anyone get hold of this simulator yet?

Jrebe, be patient man, I'm sure we'll get a loud and clear message about it when it becomes available.