Topic: Short Wireless Range

Hi All
I think my chumby might have a problem. It appears that my chumby keeps dropping it's network connection. If I have it right next to my router it appears to work fine, but if I take it into the room next to the router after a little while I get the message saying it can't find the network. I will then try to reconnect from the network screen and it may take 5-6 times before it is successful. I have a wireless palm and laptop and I have good range throughout the house but It seem like I need to be within about a foot of my router with the chumby. I checked the FAQ about wireless connectivity and it say you should have a strength meter next to the SSID you are trying to connect to. I don't see any bars even when I am next to the router.
Any thoughts?

thanks
John

Re: Short Wireless Range

I don't see any bars either. Not sure of your real problem (maybe the Chumby's exact placement?), but there's always the cheap and easy Windsurfer hack:

http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/te … index.html

widiver, please contact Chumby Support regarding this issue if you haven't already.  There is a way to test the link quality for the chumby.

spunpenny wrote:

widiver, please contact Chumby Support regarding this issue if you haven't already.  There is a way to test the link quality for the chumby.

How does one test link quality?

I think I may need to do the same thing.

I'm also having a very similar issue.  The chumby will stay connected for about 2-5 minutes and then disconnect.  It usually chokes in the middle of a web-enabled widget- like facebook or flickr.  The chumby will simply say "loading image" and all you can do is go to the control panel.  Clicking the right or left arrows to change widgets does nothing.

If you click network, the chumby will search for access points and find none.  Even though there are several in my apt. complex...  My notebooks and other wireless devices experience no such issues.  I've tried my Chumby at my house and my girlfriend's house and have experienced the same problem in both locations.

Anyone have thoughts, suggestions, questions, ideas?

6 (edited by megadork 2007-11-27 12:28:42)

I forgot to mention-- the only "cure" is to restart the chumby...  The device simply will not find any wireless networks to connect to after it loses the original connection.  This means I get to use it for 2-5 minutes before having to restart it.  It also stops updating the time widgets.  Meaning the clock feature doesn't work!  I've only had my Chumby two days now, but so far it has not been working for more than 15-20 minutes total!

Can someone please tell us how to contact folks RE the signal stregnth?  I am having the exact problem as listed above--I KNOW there are waves out there; Chumby just not seeing them all of a sudden.

Same here, it worked like a champ for about a week and now loses its network connection after a few minutes of operation in the same location (or any location that is not next to the router). Only restarting the chumby lets it connect again. I have a Tivo with a wireless connection and a Squeezebox in the same room that get a strong signal. I've never seen signal strength indicated (maybe during initial setup of the connection - I don't recall).

Type in your chumby's IP at your browser to display stats for rasusb0 then compare the stats with other WiFi devices from the same location.

Matt,

Issue though is that it HAS no IP because it's not picking up ANY signal from ANYWHERE for the past 2 days.

Threemoons, The original subject of this thread was 'short wireless range' to which I responded.
I have emailed you information regarding your issues this morning. I am awaiting your reply and will deal with it accordingly.
Anyone else unable to resolve WiFi issues please feel free to email or chat with support.

Okay, sorry, had a disconnect; didn't realize you were the same guy in my InBox.  My bad neutral