Topic: Ooops, did I "brick" my Chumby?

I tried to update my Chumby's kernel. I followed the directions from the board very precisely. Downloaded and un-tarred the gcc 4.1.2 toolchain. Then downloaded and un-tarred the linux-2.6.16-chumby-1.2.tar.gz  source. I then built new kernel according to instructions (all went well, few warnings), aligned it with perl script, zipped it, and put it on USB VFAT thumb drive (SanDisk 512K) in update2 directory. Next, I put thumbdrive into Chumby, powered on while touching screen, and installed update as per instructions on screen.

The update got so far, and the progress bar locked and my chumby no longer works. I can get the special options screen to come up, and I tried resetting to factory defaults, but that doesn't work either.

Am I hosed, or is there a way to restore my chumby to the factory settings? Does anyone have a working k1.bin.zip I can try?

---------------------------------

ADDITIONAL INFO:

Chumby is latest hardware, bought it 3 weeks ago (around Feb 1, 2008) direct from Chumby website.

I verified version of toolchain using arm-linux-gcc -v command, which resulted in:

Using built-in specs.
Target: arm-linux
Configured with: ../configure --target=arm-linux --prefix=/usr --disable-nls --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-c99 --enable-long-long --enable-multilib --enable-shared --disable-libmudflap --disable-libssp --enable-languages=c,c++ --with-headers=/home/andrew/arm-linux-attempt/linux-libc-headers-2.6.12.0/include
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.1.2   Microcross GNU X-Tools(tm)

I am using Fedora 8 as my host machine.

Re: Ooops, did I "brick" my Chumby?

Go to this page and scroll down to the "updating with a usb flash drive" section, and follow the directions to restore your firmware from USB.

Thanks Duane,

I did exactly as the page you referred me to said. I put the two directories, update1 and update 2 on the USB drive (nothing else on drive other than files in these two directories from your archive), and attempted to update (special options mode, update from USB).. I get the same thing. The Chumby goes through a couple of fast scrolling progress bars (on the screen that says DO NOT DISCONNECT THE POWER AT ANY TIME), then hangs with the progress bar 40% across with the message "Writing image to Kernel1..." at the top. This is the same place it hung when I tried to update with my kernel in the k1.bin.zip file.

Any ideas?

By the way, I did a successful over-the-air update to your new kernel/firmware when it recently became available - just prior to trying to my initial attempts to replace kernel with one I built myself.

-- Chris

OK, contact support, they'll try to help you.