Topic: Trying to lear flash programing just had a few quick questions

Hi, I just ordered a Chumby a few days ago and am eagerly awaiting its arrival.

Anyways, I have always been interested in programing but have very limitted experience with it (mostly only matlab and java). Anyways I got adobe flash CS3 pro and have been doing their online tutorials to try to learn the language, unfortunately the few things I have sucessfuly made with these tutorials don't seem to work on the virtual Chumby. I am sure I am just doing some simple stuff wrong but I don't know what.

Other than changing the resolution to 320X240 i have been leaving everything as default.

Am I using the wrong type of flash file?
Am I exporting the swf file with the wrong settings?

If anyone has some simple flash widget code they would be willing to share, just send me an email dak52@cornell.edu

Thanks so much. I hope I can learn from this and give back to the Chumby community.
-David

Re: Trying to lear flash programing just had a few quick questions

You should publish your movies as Flash 8 or earlier (use the Publish Settings).  The chumby, which uses Flash Lite 3, cannot play movies that have been published as Flash 9, or that use Actionscript 3.

Is there a good website with tutorials for Actionscript 2? The ones I was using were for Actionscript 3 and I don't know how to do the same things in action scrip 2.

Thanks
-David

a lot of people like this site

http://www.gotoandlearn.com/index.php?as=2

If you have $25 get a month of lynda.com and check out the Joey Lott Actionscript 2 series

What book would you guys recommend to learn from. Is Flash ActionScript for Dummies any good for chumby programming? What is the difference between ActionScript 2 and 3?

Thanks again.