Topic: Hulu Media Player/Not AppleTV right for Chumby?

I came across these two (among others on his site) flash players that seem right for the Chumby?  Could Chumby talk with the developer for porting onto the device?  The developer's name is Paul Yanez.  I don't know if it's possible based on the version of flash required, but it's a nice design nonetheless.

His Hulu Media Player write up is located here: http://www.paulyanez.com/labs/hulu/

And his Not AppleTV write up is here: http://www.paulyanez.com/labs/apple/

Re: Hulu Media Player/Not AppleTV right for Chumby?

I am working on this now! Cant wait to see if it works!

OK so its not working with container or load image from url widgets. It might be due to version issues with it. I will try to contact the author and figure it out.

This would be extremely cool if you could get it to work on a Chumby!

Thanks for all the effort.

-HuckFinn

I tried the container thing, but I really have no clue what I'm doing so it wouldn't work, which is why I'm glad someone has picked up the task.  I would really love to see the hulu player on the chumby.  My Chumby is on my night stand, and it would be great to watch some old A-Team or WKRP reruns (not to mention the current shows) in bed without disturbing the missus.

Thanks so much for working on it!

The reason it doesn't work on the chumby is that it ultimately loads a player movie from hulu.com which is written in Flash 9, which is not supported by Flash Lite 3.

Thanks, Duane.  That makes sense!

Damnit. No hope then? Btw Duane. Congrats on your (almost) 1500th post

Duane wrote:

The reason it doesn't work on the chumby is that it ultimately loads a player movie from hulu.com which is written in Flash 9, which is not supported by Flash Lite 3.

How about the Not AppleTV prototype? It has its own controller and plays YouTube and Google videos (and others as well.) Do those require Flash 9 or does it look like the UI is Flash 9 dependent?

Let me take a quick look. Gimme 10 minutes

Still looking. Give me another 30ish

It is not working either sad. I will go try to do a control panel debug

@robbiet480

I downloaded the a_prototype.swf and poked around with it in Flash. It looks for an xml file called a_prototype.xml to get its playlist data so make sure you download that as well. I managed to get it running from my desktop in Flash. One thing I notice is that when I resize the window to a chumb-sized 320x240, some of the UI elements get way too small. So if you're in touch with the author, you might want to ask him if he'd be interested in making a chumby version (assuming he could make it work for Flash 8).

I know that you can get it running on the desktop BUT the desktop can have the latest version of flash. Chumby only has Flash Lite 3 which can only play flash movies upto version 8. I will try contacting the author.